CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

eBay Scam - Email - BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay Scam - Email - BEWARE

There's a new email scam floating around - BEWARE! Emails are going out from an illegitimate organization steal your ebay ID and more! The email requests that you pay your fees or your ebay account will be terminated. The link provided in the email takes you to what looks like an ebay webpage, and then requests that you sign in. The problem is that its not actually an eBay webpage, and its not on an ebay server. The server then asks you for personal information, including credit card info.

One of the ways you can tell this is fraud is because the email is addressed to "Dear eBay customer". The second is that they are requesting credit card info - something that should already be set up in your account.

Here is the email text

------------------------------------------------------

eBay request: Pay your fees to eBay

Dear eBay customer,

Due to our new services you have to pay your eBay fees.You can pay with your credit/debit card. We will ask for your credit/debit card only once.We will charge your account once per month.However you will receive a confirmation request in about 24 hours after the credit/debit card is authorized.You have 24 hours from the time you'll receive the e-mail to complete this eBay Request.
Note:Ignoring this message will cause eBay TKO Suspension notice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make the funds payable to us please use this link:

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayIS...ame=h:h:sin:US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay will request personal data(password; credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.
Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/

This eBay notice was sent to you based on your eBay account preferences.If you would like to review your your notification preferences for other types of communications, click here.If you would like to receive this email in text only,click here.
As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodicaly send you information about site changes and enhancements.Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.
Copryright C 2004 eBay Inc. All rights Reserved.
Designed trademarks and brands are the property of theis respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay line.

The HTML graphics in this message have been blocked. [Show HTML Graphics - Edit Preferences]

Old 11-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Wow!!!...thanks for the heads up. With the many things I hate in this day an age, near the top of the list ranks THIEVES!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I've gotten 2 of those "ebay" notices, another variation, though, they just said that my account would be closed in 24 hrs. if I didn't "verify" all my account information. They wanted my ebay name, password, paypal information, and bank account number to "verify". I turned them both in to ebay, they have a ebay spoof address you can forward suspicious letters to and they will check it out for you, and try to track down the scammer.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Uh-Oh
My friend told me his eBay account was down for some reason. He said they sent him an email requesting to pay up. He followed the directions and now his account is suspended.
I just called him and read your post to him over the phone. He cried "Oh Nooo!!"
It near impossible to contact eBay.
Anyone know how?

Old 11-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

yup i got 3 of those emails (saying i had to verify my credit card information...i was like hmm...why would it need to be updated, then i was like F**k this whne they wanted my paypal email AND password!)

yes go to help on the ebay main page, go through like 4 pages of stupid questions/answer sections and finally at the end there is a "contact ebay" thing, where you can write them an email. (its ridiculously hard to contact ebay, but when i told them about that email i had received, i got a response back in like 12 hours)

Old 11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mudnuri
Uh-Oh
My friend told me his eBay account was down for some reason. He said they sent him an email requesting to pay up. He followed the directions and now his account is suspended.
I just called him and read your post to him over the phone. He cried "Oh Nooo!!"
It near impossible to contact eBay.
Anyone know how?
If someone falls for it, there are things you can do.

1) If you gave your Ebay ID and Password (spoof login) you'll need to IMMEDIATLY change your Ebay Password.

2) If you then gave your personal information such as credit card info, IMMEDIATLY call your credit card company and have them cancel the card.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

2) If you then gave your personal information such as credit card info, IMMEDIATLY call your credit card company and have them cancel the card.

>>>>>>>>>>

Fortunately your friend is only responsible for the first $50 used on the acct. Hopefully it wasn't one of those stupid debit cards that the same as a credit card linked to your checking acct.

I had a friend who discovered $1200 missing from his acct. one day, purchases in San Francisco in one day totaled that much by someone who stole his acct. info. The bank reimbursed the full amount.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 95wolv
Yup, I've gotten 2 of those "ebay" notices, another variation, though, they just said that my account would be closed in 24 hrs. if I didn't "verify" all my account information. They wanted my ebay name, password, paypal information, and bank account number to "verify". I turned them both in to ebay, they have a ebay spoof address you can forward suspicious letters to and they will check it out for you, and try to track down the scammer.
I got that same one about 6 months ago. I just went to ebay and checked my account info and everything was cool so I let ebay know of the email and never heard anything again.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I got it also but didnt reply

Old 11-15-2004, 08:17 AM
sam
Pro Rider

I had gotten a email like this. I opened a new yahoo email account and less than a week later I get this ebay verifacation letter. Im like what?? this email isnt even listed w/ ebay. first thought is SCAM!!!. Type of **** isnt gona stop happing till some one stops this giving out your email address to every body and their cuz. as sone as you open a email account thousand of spamers have your address. its BS

Quick Reply: eBay Scam - Email - BEWARE