CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Foam in the oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam in the oil

Hey, Its coming up on winter, I live in NY and it already has snowed. I changed my oil today and when i took off the oil cap on the dip stick there was a white foam type liquid. It was also in the threads of the tube leading into the oil tank. I just wanted to know if that was bad? Maybe its normal being it winter i don't really know... Also Since its cold i use the chock to start the DS, And as its idleing out the end cap of the exhaust on the sides it spits out like ...well, i don't know if its water from the condensation build up in the engine but on the sides of the exhaust its leaks and u can see it drip (slowly) but it drips.. I know on cars thats normal that the condensation build up in the motor breaks down the ouil in the winter since its cold but i just wanted to know if its normal on quads. thanks I might get a HMF exhaust in like a week but i heard that e series is good on DS's also Anyone who has either on there quad let me know what you think of it. thanks again

Happy roostin!

Old 11-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Foam in the oil

Man, I hate to even bring this up but it sounds like a head gasket failure. Water in the oil looks like peanut butter in color. It could also be a water pump gasket but if it's blowing white smoke I'm betting head gasket.. hope I'm wrong.

Change the oil and see if it has contaminated the oil or maybe you have been in some deep water or??? Are you low on coolant?

Old 11-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Foam in the oil

Mine turned almost white after getting water in it. (hole got deep)
Changed it, warmed it up and changed it again. It was good until my next oil change.
I hope this is all you need to do, too.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Foam in the oil

Hey, Guys I have not been in really deep water. acctually water really at all... yet i changed the oil today and its running fine im gonna run it tomorrow again and see how she is. what do u think about the water from the exhaust? tho... thanks

Old 11-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Foam in the oil

Sounds to me like the water pump seal is leaking.
On the left side of the motor where the lower radiator hose connects is the water pump. Just below that is a small weep hole. Look for signs of water leaking from that hole. Usually it will leak from there first. This hole can get plugged with sand or something and keep it from leaking. So make sure that hole stays clear. It's your first clue that the seals are going bad / are bad.
Prolly not your head gasket or you would have noticed coolant spraying out of the overflow bottle. Or at least filling way up.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam in the oil

This is common for those of us who live in a cold climate (winter). I had this last year with a new 2004 and wondered what it was. It's simple condensation of a little water into the top of the dip screw (cap). In the spring/summer/fall, no white stuff at the top of the dip stick. My machine runs top notch, no problems.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Foam in the oil

Well said Eaglecollector (as usual. . . always good advice from him!)

I had the same thing. I wouldn't say ours is a very cold climate. Turned out to be the water pump seals.

Do a search on this. There is a lot of good information out there and Links to some great sites (example, click here!)

I would get the BMW kit since the water pump impeller already comes mounted on the shaft (yes, you want a new one of these. They do wear.

Don't be afraid to ask for phone numbers if you have a question. It can be much better to talk to someone on the phone and if you get into the job and get stuck it's awesome to have someone you can call to get some help.

As for the condensation, I'm suprised you are getting water out of the tail-pipe. There isn't that much exhaust there to cool the exhaust to dewpoint temperature but. . . I know there are some areas of this country that are a lot colder than mine. Is there any chance this water is left over from when you washed the quad last?

Don't plan on running it very long like this. You don't want contaminated oil down in your crank.