CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

jetting for ds

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetting for ds

2001 ds 650
k&n filter w/precharger
no airbox lid
white bros pro-meg exhaust

what should i jet up to on-

main?
pilot?

what are the stock jets?

Old 11-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

I would start at 175 and work my way up from there.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

I would put the airbox lid back on. The carb slide works off vaccum and needs the lid on for enough vaccum. Start with a 172.5 and needle in the 4th groove from top. Cut 4 coils off the slide spring. This will increase the low end response by letting the slide move up quicker. This should get you very close.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

We did some very basic testing on the DS and we found that with or without the lid the HP is about the same. One thing we did find is that the acceleration time improved with about 1.5 seconds when running the bike on the dyno in 4th gear. We will do some more testing next year, but indications are that the lid is better off than on.

The guys also use the Dynojet kit with main jet 185. Altitude is nearly 6000 ft above sea level. Air filter is K&N.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

i should rephrase that. there is no airbox. that's the way we bought it :/
i think he said that he shortened the tube from the carb to the engine, too.

i don't want to cut coil springs or anything of that crap. just want to make it run good (my bro-in-laws)

the pipe that came with it said that we didnt need to rejet?!?!? bs to that.

ill go with your suggestions on jetting and screwing with the needle and stuff and see what i come up with.

thanks a lot guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

With no airbox you might want to start with a 175 to 177.5 and needle in the 5th position.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:25 AM
sam
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

when I ran the stock carb I all ways ran w/ lid on why?? when my buddy who had a 2002 baja w/ fmf & dyno jet kit raced me I alwas lost with the lid off no mater where my jetting was. I put it back on and I would pull away slightly from him from start to finish , me running end cap and 172.5 main. I have noticed in the posts that the higher in elevation the guys like it w/ the lid off. w/ the lid off it felt great but at the line it stunk!! It was totaly opposite from what Ive ever been tought.
this is JM2C worth and my experiance. the prob. is from hearing others its at higher rpms/ full throttle the slide will studder. not severly but enough to slow me down. my end jetting was 172.5, 45 pilot, needle clip at bottom poss. (750 elev. aprox.)
Sam

Old 11-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

I have a 2004 DS 650 Baja with : Modded exhaust end cap,Procom CDI, Uni air filter. I run with the air box lid on and installed the Dyno jet kit. I went with a 180 main jet ,stock piolet jet and replaced the needle. Moved the clip down to the second notch. My bike runs great and I ride it like I stole it. You have about the same setup. The stock main jet was a 165. Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

thanks for all your replys

this guy won't really take my advice for much of anything so trying to coax him into finding an airbox to put on is out of the question. i just feel sorry for the thing- regular cheap *** motor oil, razr 2's with air psi up to that of a car, super tight chain (MAYBE 1/8 inch slack), super unlubricanted chain, get's her engine raced when really cold. lmao

Old 11-16-2004, 01:26 PM
sam
Pro Rider
Default jetting for ds

maybe you can get him to come on the fourms and get some experienced advice. but if he wont his loss. there is a lot of experince persons on this fourm that have worked out the bugs on there machine. its kinda of a gold mine for us that will listen and take advice. one of the best fourms IMO. all those pains you listed he is doing will catch up to him, then waaa waa. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

have a good one!
Sam

Quick Reply: jetting for ds