CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

LTE for the DS650? Check this out

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004 | 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default LTE for the DS650? Check this out

From what I see the stock pipe made 35.89 @ 7400 and the LTE made 42.44 at the same RPM. If that is with no other mods that is a pretty good gain. The chart is a little hard to read but look at the thickness of the lines it makes it a little easier.

Old 11-24-2004 | 11:37 AM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Im simply saying that there are other charts from LTE that don't exacltly match what that one shows. So, there is something different on the mods or on the dyno or some other conditions that cause a variance from the sheets I have from LTE. Other people can obtain them the same way I did - by asking LTE for them. The "other place" I mentioned (which got deleted) is LTE. Since they did the dyno, maybe someone should just call Randy and ask. I am about 85% sure that both of the pipes tested in this dyno above meet at 6,000 rpm - and that the LTE moves up instead of down as previously speculated. That would explain why the peak horsepower is so close to the stock HP already published by so many people already. This is one of the problems resulting from someone trying to speculate on an LTE dyno, when the tester isn't there to help explain the results. My experience with LTE pipes is that they make power on the top end, not take away when compared to stock.
ORDunePatrol, that's a pretty reasonable assessment of what is shown here. I too, think that LTE is a top end pipe. The 2 curves converging at 6k seem that this DS was not jetted correctly, either the needle (taper) or main could be off. If I was considering the LTE system for a DS, I'd want to find out more from LTE. This graph does not market the LTE pipe well for the DS, IMO, and that could be taken up with the SPONSOR who published this graph on his site or the MANUFACTURER, where the graph was obtained.

That is the only point I started this thread - you DS guys may want to ask those questions.

Old 11-24-2004 | 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

PredFan,

You probably didn't realize it, but the LTE's got one bad review on the YFZ by another magazine not associated with ATV Connections. A lot of people thought that the magazine article was not scientific. Several months ago the magazine did a 'shoot out' with several slip on pipes on the YFZ. Then, they did a follow up article to the shoot out and added the results of the LTE for the YFZ. The problem was that the magazine did not actually compare the LTE to the other pipes, because they didn't have them anymore! They simply gave an unscientific assesment based on thier memory from the original shoot out. What's more troubleing, is that they didn't do any db tests to US standards - they simply used thier ears and tried to remember how the loud the other pipes were. In the end, they published thier supplemental shootout and LTE got a negative review for the YFZ. This has outraged a lot of YFZ owners with LTE pipes because they know the actual hands on results themselves, and have looked at LTE dyno charts which backs up thier opinion. This is why a lot of people are pretty polarized when anything that resembles false information is given. In my mind, this at least calls attention to the lack of scientific results and the need for someone who is independant that needs to dyno each pipe and DB test them by a USFS worker.

In my mind, I cant understand how a magazine expects thier readership to believe that a full set of duals would perform less when compared to a mere slip on - especially when established dyno charts already exist. Perhaps it has something to do with Dr. D himself, and his very published work history with Yamaha.

In a few months, someone will do a true head to head test, on an independant dyno, and tuned by a independant mechanic and DB tested by an independant USFS worker. This is the only way a consumer can decide which exhaust is right for them.

Marky

PS - I will be happy to forward the email I got from LTE, with the DS650 dyno results, to anybody that asks.

Old 11-24-2004 | 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sweetquads

BTW, the Dynos came directly from LTE a few days ago. Also they were on stock quads i believe with the stock air filters and the lid on.

Tom
hmm thats wierd, i coulda swore with the LTE's on a ds you can't run an airbox

Old 11-24-2004 | 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilnotts
Originally posted by: sweetquads

BTW, the Dynos came directly from LTE a few days ago. Also they were on stock quads i believe with the stock air filters and the lid on.

Tom
hmm thats wierd, i coulda swore with the LTE's on a ds you can't run an airbox
You swear good! LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2004 | 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

I also agree that the LTE must be making the 42HP output and the stock pipe the 35HP. I actually hate the way the guys show the HP increase. The way they show and market the pipe they will claim a 7HP increase. The stock pipe actually makes closer to 37.5HP @ 6500 RPM. The LTE makes 42.2HP at 7200RPM. The HP difference is 5HP between the two peak outputs.

These findings is about average for the dyno run I have on the DS. To be honest, you can get 42HP with a good slip-on. It's lot cheaper than the LTE and has a lot less weight and no mods required to mount it. For looks, if you like this sort of thing, then the LTE is good.

I have a run of a DS with a Yoshi slip-on. Compare this to the LTE run. In my mind the slip-on outperforms the LTE everywhere expect at 7200RPM.

Yoshi @ 3500 RPM 23HP
LTE @ 3500 RPM 22HP

Yoshi @ 4000 RPM 28HP
LTE @ 4000 RPM 26.2

Yoshi @ 4500 RPM 32HP
LTE @ 4500 RPM 30HP

Yoshi at 5000 RPM 36HP
LTE @ 5000 RPM 33.5HP

Yoshi @ 5500 RPM 39.5HP
LTE @ 5500 RPM 36.5HP

Yoshi @ 6000 RPM 40.5HP
LTE @ 6000 RPM 37HP

Yoshi @ 6500 RPM 41HP
LTE @ 6500 RPM 39HP

Yoshi @ 7000 RPM 41HP
LTE @ 7000 RPM 41HP

Old 11-25-2004 | 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Freez,

For the stock motor, I see no reason to buy the LTE's other than someone planning ahead for future builds and/or to lower DB levels over a slip on. Once you add more mods, which increase exhaust flow, the LTEs for the DS will shine.

Im sure you rejetted your quad when you tuned in both exhausts right? Also, what air filter did you use on both configurations?

I had a Yoshi on my 400EX, and it was all I could do to avoid the DB Police. I now have LTE's on my 400EX, the rangers see them and dont even bother testing me - plus it kicks a$$ too! Thats a rare combination, and very much worth it for many folks.

Old 11-25-2004 | 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Tom,

First of all, The DS650 pipes have always been routed through the center subframe, just like the LTE for the Predator. The reason why that is is because the risk of burning a rider is greater if the pipe is routed outside the subframe on those two quads. That isnt the case with the other models LTE carries. Secondly, the 400EX LTE pipes uses EXACTLY the same muffler as all the other pipes do, with a hemispherical screen spark arrestor - not a disk. There were some very pre-liminary alpha models that did use the disk system which was well over 12 months ago. A lot of dealers got them for little or no cost when they signed up. When I got my set of 400EX pipes, Randy was kind enough to chrome plate the pipes, and anodize red the rear mufflers and make some custom billet ends.

I hope the information listed above helps you to better help your customers understand what they are buying.

Marky

Old 11-26-2004 | 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

The stock header is not bad on the DS. All the tests I have done was on stock motors with K&N air cleaners and Dynojet jet kits. The slip-on's work just as well as the Ron Woods on these configurations. The LTE is in the same ballpark. Making the exhaust flow more is not a guarantee you will get more power. To much flow will rob low down power.