CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dazed and Confused..Plz HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dazed and Confused..Plz HELP

Okay,

Any help would be truly appreciated. I currently ride a Z400 (a girl's bike according to my craptor riding buddies). So, the wife wants my bike which means I get to pick out a new one. This is where I am stuck. I always liked the Predator (especially the new '05 500's). However, I started looking at the DS650 and am truly impressed. I am 6'2" and 240 lbs, so I need a beefy bike. My craptor buddies say, "just be like us and get a craptor". The problem is, the craptor must be manhandled 24/7 leaving you worn out at the end of any ride. I have used their craptors for weekends at the dunes.

They also tell me I would be unhappy with the DS as we trail ride as well as going to the dunes. So, I am looking for honest opinions of the DS. What do you not like about it? What is your experience on trails? What about no reverse? Once you get used to it, there is no going back. And if you happen to be familiar with the Predator, plz speak up as well. Please help.

Mutso

Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know what you mean by man handled, but the ds is the best riding sport on the market PERIOD.And they run good too
Justin

Old 11-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

We big guys luv our DSs for all riding, if you get a predapuss dont get in our way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2004, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

So Sandbomber,

You are from Black Diamond...I am from Oly. You ride it on the trails as well and enjoy them with the DS?

Old 11-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I ride 99% trails and the DS is the best ATV I have ever ridden. I would highly recommend it.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mutso
So Sandbomber,

You are from Black Diamond...I am from Oly. You ride it on the trails as well and enjoy them with the DS?
I have been to Rock candy over your way!!!! Still digging bark out of my ---, but so are the craptors!! Try to stay away from really tight trails. By the way I owned a 2000 craptor but it just did not fit. Different world

Old 11-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Your size fits right in with the average DS rider. The newer DS's are narrower and will fit on trails but still are fairly wide when it comes to narrow, wooded, rutted trails. They are really well suited for wide open fire roads and dunes and the ride quality is second to none. (read that easy on your back). The Predator is more of a motocross style quad with a firm ride and two-stroke type top end power. I'm 6"3 and the Predator I rode fits but seemed a little small-my legs were close to the bars turning. It's a tough choice but definately the two I'd pick from. Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

I agree 100% with mystereid. DS is great especially for long days of trail riding (mostly what I do), but I like the Pred for the track. I weigh 230 and wouldn't trade my DS for anything. I would advise against the Raptor as it's suspension is archaic compared to the DS. Either way good luck.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice. I think I am leaning towards the DS. I just can't get over the quality of its construction (can you say heavy duty?). Besides, how many applications are out there with the Rotax? I think I will beat my craptor buddies with the DS.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

ROTAX=PERFORMANCE....... one mod leads to 50. i am six foot, 210 and my friends z400 is a toy to me. the ds is a cadilac on the trails. you cant hrow it around in the air like a z400 but you definately wont worry about having enough power to clear a jump

Quick Reply: Dazed and Confused..Plz HELP