CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dazed and Confused..Plz HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dazed and Confused..Plz HELP

I have been on a 04 Predator and on a 04 Z400. I have friends that own them. The predator is definately a high rpm band quad, it also felt way too low in the bars to me. The guy is like 6'6" and his knees also are way up by the bars. The predator has slowly fell apart over 6 months. Steering bolts fell out (4 of them), Heat Shield was dripping off, there were more things. The Z400 ( I would get the Z over the Pred....just so you get my point) , I like the world of aftermarket parts....no other quad except a banshee has the selection. The Z rides ok but its not a bike for your size....so I can see why you are changing. I hear nothing but bad stuff about the Raptor all the time. I hear its got grunt and seems like its the default big bore out there. I wanted the strongest quad available, I ride hard, over rev the crap out of everything, and I wanted something to grow into, and not out of. I read up on the cross crounty races the DS did and the distances of abuse. I got to ride one and the first time off one you kinda shake from your nervs. I have went to the dunes and found how it loves the sand. I have recently started to do distance rides through rough the AZ desert. After 10 straight hours, yes I was tired, I dont think I would want to try that on any other quad than the DS. I recently have jumped my DS X and have found that it will take anything I have the nads to jump. Its a high quality machine and BRP spared no expense to make it that way.

The Predator owner loves my DS and so does the Z owner.....LOVES my DS......but its too late for them.

I am only 5'8" tall and 165lbs and I have a DS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for all the thoughtfull replies. I think my mind is made up. One other question: Is the X worth the extra money? Or is it just extra weight?

Old 11-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

if you ride alot of rough terrain its worth it but if not save the money and start yourself off with a pipe, jet kit, and filter. you will still have enough left over for some other goodies. oh and dont forget the go-fast stickers...... they add at least 3-5 hp. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I thought it was just window dressing other than the front shocks. I need dune wheels and nerf bars. Do you have pipe recommendations? I hate really loud pipes. Also, should I change the front sprocket?

Old 11-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

I highly reccomend the end cap kit from www.on-dunes.com

Yes its louder and so will any aftermarket pipe. Its louder but its just right. The kit makes it nice and I noticed a noticealbe increase throughout the rpm's. Very Very nice cheap mod $118 deliverd.

I saved my leg and ankle this weekend by having nerfs and boots. I landed so hard from a HUGE jump I came off the pegs and when I came down I missed the pegs on one side....oh thank the nerf gods!

If I were to do it over again I would miss all the X package items if I got the standard DS. Lights are nice at night and the HPG shocks are a major difference when jumping the DS. Tach...well its cool, but seriously I hardly look at it. Wheels....well I am not impressed with the insides since they are not ringed like the outside. I have had to bend the insides back to round a few times already.....I think ITP BAJA's will hold up much better.

Sproket.....get your tires first then look into that.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:37 PM
sam
Pro Rider

They also tell me I would be unhappy with the DS
there just scared[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
when you get it get a end cap, 172.5 main jet and a 15t front sprcket. and whoooha. you will love it
once you go bomb you never go back!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read some good things about the 05 Troy-Lee ed. Pred. I don't know anyone who has or rode one so that's just reading on my part. Outside of my 04X, this would be the only other sport quad I'd consider since I'm 6'2"/295lbs. I've rode an 04 Z400 and a couple of Rappys. Needless, the Bomb is second to none in regards to comfort.

When I purchased my X, I thought I'd be okay without MODS for a few years. Then the itch settles in because of this damn forum. My first couple of MODS consisted of an HMF slip-on, stainless steel cap screws on the carb and a 170 main jet (175 was too heavy). Then a blown rear tire, had me purchasing a set of RAZR 2's. Then a trip to the dunes had me purchase ITP SandStars on Douglas .190 wheels (295lbs needs thick aluminum). I plan to purchase either a Procomm CDI or similar in the spring to help the fact I hit the rev-limiter in no-time with the HMF and re-jet.

Someday I'd like to get some HPResearch engine mods when some extra duckie ($$$) is in pocket. That's dreaming with three little girls in my life.