CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Question for you turbo guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you turbo guys...

Alright fella's, first I've searched for the info I'm looking for, and found 90% CRAP! Also, I'm asking in this forum because I have alot of respect for the Bomb turbo guys. I've been researching turbo idea's for my car and thought about it for ATV's. My only question is, is it possible to turbo with a carb. set-up? How do you manage it, if possible? Has anyone done it, or did you all swap to EFI? Thanks alot fella's.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people have tried to get carbs to work with turbos with little to no success.
The problem with a carb is you can’t get it to seal. I suggest EFI. with the amount of money and time you will spend trying to get a carb to work just to have it fail. Go with EFI.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

ditto Bigdogs comments!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Blowing through a carb is just a bad idea, they are not designed to work without vacuum. having the turbo suck through a carb works much better. Older Volkswagen powered turbo setups work this way, I had a sandrail with a turbo VW and it pulled through a side draft weber carb and it rocked! But these guys are right, EFI is too easy these days. Not sure I would ever want to mess with a carb in a turbo setup again.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guy's. I was hoping I could do it, but I doubted it anyway. Does anyone besides KMS offer EFI kit's for bikes? Too bad Cannondale's have so many issues, they'd be the perfect candidate for a turbo!

Old 12-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

KMS is the only co. i know of that has sucessfully done the efi on quads with the exception of canondale????

Old 12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Some will argue but I think a suck through is the only way to go. Way too many problems with a blow through design with carbs.
About carb vrs. EFI. All of my turbo setups are carb. Do I like it? No I don't. Mechanical engine management just does not cut it any more. To get things right, your going to have to go EFI. So am I, and that's why I bought an Accel unit a few years ago. When I have time I will find out just how much power I lost to carbs, and gain with EFI.
Welcome to the new age when puter geaks have the fastest cars, bikes, quads ect ect..............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

Welcome to the new age when puter geaks have the fastest cars, bikes, quads ect ect..............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
LOL, thanks for the info.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

i ran a procharger f-1r belt driven blower (it's like a belt driven turbo) and blew it thru 2 special built holley's and it just plain sucked!! with only 20psi of boost i had a problem with it running lean then it would fatten up and blow smoke. i was to cheap to spend the $$$$ needed to put on the efi but i know if i would have it would have made an extra 200hp with all the adjustabilty and would have just plain run better. spend the money on efi it's worth it. check out my photo page to see all the work i went thru on my malibu to make the carbs work with the blower.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Jeffroe, all I have to say is, WOW! over 1000hp at the rear wheels, holy cow!

Quick Reply: Question for you turbo guys...