CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Valve Clearance Issues for the 2nd time

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Clearance Issues for the 2nd time

Does it seem odd to anyone that my valve clearance is off for the second time in 8 months (122 hours)?

The Intake is Tight and the Exhaust is loose, same as the last time.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Well I dont know what you did to fix it last time but if you just changed the shims then I went through the same thing. I found out after the second time that I was runnin to lean. The crappy part is the way I found out......lifted ringland on the piston and bent a valve in the process. I guess that when it runs lean its kinda like a car but alot more sensitive and the valve gets too hot and sinks in the seat.....Just a thought. I just got mine back together from my little catastrophy........also on the camaro was that 8.69 on the sauce? Have you thought about runnin in any of the big street car classes. Is it 10.5 tire or big tire car? sorry to get off the subject but drag racing is my other pasttime.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

8.29...sorry

Old 12-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

I know it's not lean, If anthing it's a little bit rich.

Ya the Camaro doesn't run to bad. Upkeep alone will keep you broke.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

make sure the valve springs aren't giving up. If the valve is hopping it will beat up the valve and the seat as well. Also make sure you are not injesting dirt the other enemy of valve seats. ....I am a drag racer too...I drive a car in real street in the PSCA, single turbo 352ci mustang 3350lbs. 8.31 168.... Mustang info http://www.turbomustangs.com/feature_cars/chrisciolek.htm

Old 12-03-2004, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider

All the quads that ride with us have valve problems. DS's, raptors, 450's, the works. All of them need adjustment once or twice a year. We spoke to some of the guys that race these quads and they told us to switch to leaded fuel. The leaded fuels they claim protect the valve seals and seats. They race two seasons and never adjust the valves.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Zooomer
make sure the valve springs aren't giving up. If the valve is hopping it will beat up the valve and the seat as well. Also make sure you are not injesting dirt the other enemy of valve seats. ....I am a drag racer too...I drive a car in real street in the PSCA, single turbo 352ci mustang 3350lbs. 8.31 168.... Mustang info http://www.turbomustangs.com/feature_cars/chrisciolek.htm
Nice

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Well it looks like the head has to come off.

I already have the thinnest shim in the intake side I can find, 2.1 mm and its tight (can't get a .04mm feeler gauge under it). Does any one have any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about all the questions in advance

Does anyone have an idea what it is going to cost?
Valves
Valve Seat
Valve springs
Head gasket
And whatever else I missed

I would like to have the machine work done by someone that has experience with the DS. Who would you suggest (Mr HP?)

I am going to check the compression tonight, But with the intake being tight I may not get a good reading. If compression is low and I can Find a used high comp piston, Will the cylinder need to be re-coated after honing?

What do you suggest I do?

Thank You for your help

Old 12-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Freez
All the quads that ride with us have valve problems. DS's, raptors, 450's, the works. All of them need adjustment once or twice a year. We spoke to some of the guys that race these quads and they told us to switch to leaded fuel. The leaded fuels they claim protect the valve seals and seats. They race two seasons and never adjust the valves.
Good luck finding leaded fuel around here.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Valve Clearance Issues for the 2nd time