CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what is the easiest way to do a leakdown test?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 05:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the easiest way to do a leakdown test?

any suggestions thanks, other than having your cams timing marks lined up and the crank locked, what is good for a reading and what is bad, what willl it sound like air coming out the crankcase breather or intake valves? wheer can i purchase or make a leakdown tester and for how much thanks againg

Old 12-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Here is one example of where to get one:
powerhouse tools
you dont need to pull cam covers or anything like that, just get the motor to as close to top deadcenter as possible and lock it in place. If you hear air coming out the intake or exhaust that is where your leak is at. It the crank case breather starts whistling at you then the rings are leaking. The gauge will tell you the amout of leakage, low amout of leakage is good. A leakdown test will tell you more about what is going on with your motor than a compression gauge ever will.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can make one quite easily. I found two sites that show how:

http://www.morrowmarsh.ca/concours/t...downtester.htm
http://www.650motorcycles.com/LeakDownTester.html

It's been quite a few years ago, but I built one to that Caterpillar Diesel gave instructions for when I was troubleshooting an emergency generator on a Coast Guard cutter. Something these sites don't show that I remember having to do was to create a restricted orifice by brazing a close nipple completely closed and drilling it out to a small size. Though I don't remember the size, it really isn't that important (I would think 1/16" would work). This restricted orifice goes on the supplied air side of the tool. I'm sorry I don't remember the details, but even without the restricted orifice (cracking open the valve especially if you use a needle valve), you should be able to come to a conclusion. Read both the above articles, it should help you....

Dave

Old 12-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a couple more URL's; the first gives a good description (including the restricted orifice I was speaking of, except they are calling it a damper). The second tells you what you're looking (listening) for...

http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc3.shtml
http://www.se7ens.net/faq/7faq.htm#LeakdownTest

Old 12-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

ok thanks cheng but i have to pull my motor to powdercoat the frame and i thought that i could just pull the head and jugg and check my ring end gap? major said something about some 8mm studs needing to be replaced, how big of a deal is it to pull the head and jugg check my ring gap and have a valve job done anyway? he also said something about the head warping is that a common problem with the ds? i wish i could remember what major said i have had one too many pain pills today but i would like to pull my motor apart and check everything if its not to big of a problem, maybe i should pull my motor and take it in to skidoo and have them check the ring gap and valves and advise?

Old 12-05-2004, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

maybe i can call major and ask him or someone else a few questions about the motor work? any volunteres?

Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

after i fill my cylinder with 100 psi how long do i wait to see how much air leaks out? do i wait 5 10 15 minutes thanks

Old 12-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

Leakdown is instant gratification, no waiting needed.