CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

EXHAUST...Whats really the best?? DS650

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST...Whats really the best?? DS650

I have heard and read sooo much around the net...Now I have had all good things to say about this forum so I am bringing this hard question....What is the best FULL exhaust package out ther?..By full I mean head pipe all the way to end pipe......Also what has the best HP gains on a stock motor....Thanx. & I know you won't do me wrong!

Also please include the LTE dual exhaust setup in your review....

Old 12-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I know about the HP that the numbers don't really count....Where do you want it? Thats what I find costs so much, getting all the power, but putting it where you want it. In the upper RPM for racing or down low for trails, I dunno. You can't have the power all the way through. But i'd say the turbo for arguments sake. Lets see what that starts.lol

Sounds like the best pipe is the yoshi.....

Old 12-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Oops, I thought you meant best mod for powergains. Noone really knows the real HP numbers on all the pipes. They differ due to dyno's, bikes, jetting, you name it. Someone has to take a stock machine, set it up, and then try all the pipes without changing anything else and see what the hp differences are.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Simple-----Woods Racing exhaust

Old 12-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

I could not be happier with my HMF slip on. I own a '05 so I did not need to worry about the head pipe, but it truely is a great pipe.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ron Wood has had the most positive results.
Gradon and CT Sonic also get good reviews from some of the bigger bores.

For stock bores the following may be fine secondary selections:
ProCircuit - Low cost and mild improvements - may get the same from a modified end-cap. Except for the weight.
Big Gun - Back in the day, they would fall apart. It may be that they don't now but, I think they pissed off enough people that it's going to take a while to get a new set of customers.
Yoshi - mild gains & high price
Trinity - shipping delays and lack-luster performance
HMF - I think they've changed their design (a year or two ago) because they didn't used to have spark arrestor but, I hear performance is good.
Alba - I can't remember but. . .
MBRP - Do they still make pipes?
Jardine - Does anyone own one?

Old 12-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DONECRASHED
I could not be happier with my HMF slip on. I own a '05 so I did not need to worry about the head pipe, but it truely is a great pipe.
Please explain more why you don't have to worry about the headpipe?

Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrMeaner
Simple-----Woods Racing exhaust
How is the ron woods sound?...does it hold up to corosion and fading out....I ride in a state forest so will the woods db's be ok and does it come with a spark arrestor?

Old 12-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

You don't need the head pipe section, because the stock head pipe is already a full blown header that flows as good, or better, than some of the aftermarket head pipes do.

The Ron Woods pipe does not come with a spark arrestor as standard equipment, but you can purchase a disk style end cap for it that is tunable for sound level and is a USFS approved spark arrestor. The disk style end cap is pricey, and I do not know what the sound "quality" would be like with the disk end cap. The open style Ron Woods pipe sounds great, with a deep throaty tone that is the best I have heard on a DS. My HMF slip-on is deeper toned, and louder, but does not sound as good. The HMF slip-on is less than half the cost, fits better, and makes more power at the bottom of the power band. The Ron Woods exhaust makes more power at top end. The finish of the Ron Woods silencer is easy to keep up; just use some "Never Dull" aluminum polish once in a while, and it will maintain its mirror like polish. The head pipe portion of the Ron Woods exhaust will fade and discolor quickly though, and that cannot be changed. The stock header is the only head pipe I have seen that maintains its finish, so they must use better quality material right from the factory. At least that is what I have experienced, ... your results may very. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And why don't you tell us how well your Yoshimura exhaust performs Dragorus? Enquiring minds want to know.

OuterLimit

Old 12-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragorus
Originally posted by: DONECRASHED
Please explain more why you don't have to worry about the headpipe?
I personally think the stock head pipe is just as good any. at least for a stock bore.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST...Whats really the best?? DS650