CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Aftermarket CDI good for stock motor???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket CDI good for stock motor???

prokiwi/ what was the increase with the vortex on a stocker?

Old 12-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

I got mine @ Hp Research with reprogramed rev-limits.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

has anyone of u ran the rwr cdi before getting the vortex? if so,was it worth spending another 400$ ?

Old 12-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

yes i had both the rwr and graydon box's befor i put the vortex on my 760. i felt the vortex was an improvement over over the others( seat of the pants), but i won't put one on my stockish ds seems overkill.

i would like to know the dyno numbers kiwi was talking about?

Old 12-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

the ron wood cdi was the first thing i bought.i didn't gain 1 mph on pavement with a radar!

Old 12-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thebigshow
has anyone of u ran the rwr cdi before getting the vortex? if so,was it worth spending another 400$ ?
I have. I dont think you'll notice or feel a huge difference between the two main power curves when performing at RPMs between 6500 and 8900 rpm - thats not to say there wont be differences on a Dyno. However, the RWR has no rev limit; so if you want to go to higher RPMs, then the RWR is the one - but get ready to replace the valve springs - Shim-under-bucket springs would be the best choice here. Also, I did notice when running the Vortex that my DS idled and started nicer with a higher compression piston than when I ran with the RWR. In fact, I think there are problems with the RWR CDI and a piston as high as a 14:1. Also, the Vortex will provide better low end performance than the RWR CDI - because you can switch curves.

Old 12-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

OregonDunePatrol,
you are so right! the RW stage 2 was the next thing i had to buy..along with 2 new exhaust valves that were bent.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Originally posted by: thebigshow
I have. I dont think you'll notice or feel a huge difference between the two main power curves when performing at RPMs between 6500 and 8900 rpm - thats not to say there wont be differences on a Dyno. However, the RWR has no rev limit; so if you want to go to higher RPMs, then the RWR is the one - but get ready to replace the valve springs - Shim-under-bucket springs would be the best choice here. Also, I did notice when running the Vortex that my DS idled and started nicer with a higher compression piston than when I ran with the RWR. In fact, I think there are problems with the RWR CDI and a piston as high as a 14:1. Also, the Vortex will provide better low end performance than the RWR CDI - because you can switch curves.
I agree...But are you saying if we use this cdi that are valves will bust up...?....What do we need to change on our stock bikes to prevent this??

Old 12-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

The stock valves begin to float at 8500 RPM. With the vortex, you can select a curve which will prevent it from getting higher. Personally, I am fine with the top curve of 8900 RPM in my motor because I have stiffer valve springs. You'll either have to limit your revs by your own control (with the RWR) by the CDI control (with the Vortex) or get stiffer valve springs (dual rate or shim under bucket) -

Old 12-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's ashame the Vortex costs $400. This is a simple piece of electronic equipment which should be able to be manufactured at a low cost. I would purchase one if it were in the 200 - 250 range. With three little girls at home, I just don't have the extra coin to spend. I was looking at a Procom but many forum members said they are crap. That's too bad, the cost of their simple (no settings, curves, etc.) CDI is a buck twenty five. After I installed my HMF pipe in August, I bump the rev-limiter in no time.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CDI good for stock motor???