CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My first impression of the 650

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first impression of the 650

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Originally posted by: busmechanic
I tried a twist throttle once. I sold it on ebay after the first ride. IMO, there is to much torq on the front tires when turning for a twist. its hard to control when your pushing and pulling on the bars.
Bus,

I tried my twist on my EX last weekend. As you know, I got the 1/4 to full Motion Pro one. I love it - but then again, I rode a YZ with a 1/4 to full twist for years on the trails and dunes, so it was an easy transition for me. The only thing that is going to take a little more time for me to get used to is those darn whoppy sand roads we have at Florence to get out to the dunes. When I stand up, and put my butt back towards the back end of the seat and throttle up, the slightest bump slightly accelerates the twist a little more than my old thumb throttle did. But there are huge benifits for me. 1) full throttle capability of my edlebrock carb 2) shorter motion over my machined out stock twist throttle 3) and easier cable pull. The open dunes and normal riding trails are no problem for me.

Im sure I'll get used to the whoops more as I take it out a few more times. Part of the problem is the stock shocks - I know if I had some better shocks they would absorb a lot of those whoops so I wouldnt have to.

Marky
I geuss everything gets easier with time. I ended up rolling my ds because just for a fraction of a second I could not let off. and I hooked a grass hill on the trails along the beach. the twist I had was also being used with a lectron. maybe that had something to do with it as well.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BigWaynester
BUBFRider, did you get it used? or new, if used, what mods does it have, everybody here will help you get it dialed in.
I got it used. It has a Big Gun exhaust but I'm not sure what jets are in it. It blows a lot of carbon.

After further review......The power plant in the second most impressive thing about this bike. The suspension rocks. I hit an off camber jump last night and as soon as I hit it I though "sh**, here we go". It sucked it up and wanted more. I've been on a lot of bikes and the quad racer is the only one that comes close. And those goofy looking fender are the cats ***. Hard to believe the can catch that much slop.

The throttle seems to be sticking, so I need to give it a little TLC.

I also noticed that it has a 16t front sprocket with 22in. rears. Think I'll try the 15t.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

it sounds like you have a cable issue to me. you might try pulling the thumb throttle side. elevate it. and shoot some cable lube through it. you could even take the cover plate off the carb so you can see when the lube makes its way all the way through.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

That's what I was thinking.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BUBFRider
Originally posted by: BigWaynester
BUBFRider, did you get it used? or new, if used, what mods does it have, everybody here will help you get it dialed in.
And those goofy looking fender are the cats ***
LOL

You will like the 15tooth front with 22" tires

Just look over from the thumb throttle to the carb, lube what needs to be lubed, clean whatever needs to be cleaned, and check cable for kinks.

There used to be a jetting page around here, not sure where though...if it can be found, that will put you in the right direction for jetting