CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Chain Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Chain Adjustment?

Quick question for you Ds guys. I went to adjust my chain for the first time today and it seemed really, really hard to figure out. I was doing it by myself and it seemed like I just could not get the chain to get into the right measurement. I could get it either to tight, or to loose, but could not get the chain to adjust really where I wanted it. I finally ended up adjusting it to where it would move about a inch with me on it. Let me know if it's just me or if there is a easier way to find the right adjustment by yourself.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Just trial and error, loosen the nuts and put the pin like I'm sure you did, have the quad in neutral sitting on level ground. Sit on the ground behiend it, and roll the quad either way with the tire, and let the weight momentum do the turning. Note... I mean momentum by nudging, not ramming, and it might take a couple tries, but you should get it. Thats the way I do it and it works for me. I assume you know all of this already, but I thought I'd throw it in anyways. Thats how I do it anyways. Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

I set on the quad when adjusting the chain..............thought that was how it was to be done.
There is definintely a difference in chain slack when you are on or off the bike.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know what the exact measurements are, something like 1.5-2 inches or something for slack in the chain when you are sitting on the bike in your normal riding position with gear on. Something to help in the future would be when you do have your chain adjusted properly , to measure the slack in the chain with you off the quad. That way when your adjusting it next time, you sit on the ground, set it up to that spec, and then it should be what you need when you're sitting on it.

I can see how trying to get it right while sitting on it could have been tough.
Good luck