CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NEW alum. Air box

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 08:16 AM
sam
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW alum. Air box

Just got a New air box instaled, take a look see its in my pics. its maid by these folksCFM also I got some pics hereMore

No more Hose clamps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

there going to make a few other things as well for her right after the first of the year. A larger capacity Alum. oil tank for one. Ill keep you posted.
tell me what you think.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Looks like nice box Sam!
Happy Holidays!
Chuck

Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Mighty nice lookin, but what do they run ya? $200 some odd? What kind of gains if any have you noticed? Are the dimensions funky or do you think it would be not too bad to build your own if you were bored? Thanks

Old 12-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

The air box looks nice. Did you have change your jetting?

Old 12-23-2004, 10:25 AM
sam
Pro Rider

I just got her back 12/22 for the Holidays for a little riding then I take her back for a few more goddies. Ive only rode her once since I got her back about 15min. jetting is 160 main it was about 20-25 deg. out .The little bit I did ride I couldnt notice any differance either way yet. Not enough seat time. but there is a lot of snow here and a lot of spinning going on. Plus we just got dumped on some more.
He has it on ebay right now so you will be able to look at the box off the bike.
this was the first one he made for the DS, Plus he wants to make a few more things for the DS after the first of the year. so we will have another outlet for aftermarket parts.
as soon as things get better here Ill be able to get a better feal for it. but the welds are top notch the whole thing is very clean. maybe if some of the guys that live in the warmer temp. states pick one up can get a better review sooner than I can.
Sam

Old 12-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

Larger oil tank is gonna be a fun one, the headlight is incorporated into it, I was thinking of a extra oil cooler with fins to mount in front of the radiator??

Old 12-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Like the mounting location
Like the dual filters
Like the removable cover
Dislike the square carb intake - would rather see it round to eliminate any obstructions or disturbances in air flow.

Yes, a oil tank would be nice but, the DS oil tank is already pretty large so, cooling and weight savings would be key.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Like the mounting location
Like the dual filters
Like the removable cover
Dislike the square carb intake - would rather see it round to eliminate any obstructions or disturbances in air flow.

Yes, a oil tank would be nice but, the DS oil tank is already pretty large so, cooling and weight savings would be key.
I agree. Big round to small round would increase the ram air effect for the most horsepower.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:27 AM
sam
Pro Rider

I was thinking of a extra oil cooler with fins
this is one of the projects I do belive as well.

Im gona do a dyno on it in the next comming months. New air box/ intake Vs Old box/ intake. and maybe stock carb lid on/ lid off. I agree on the round, but they seemed to think the more air comming from the air filters area would be a good thing as well. I have so much damb snow here I cant fart w/ out it causing a drift. so I cant even get out there to compare.
Sam

Old 12-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have supercoolers from CFM, the biggest hugest longest made. 3 times the fins as anbody else, they are super long. I put one on my coolant line and one on my oil line coming from tank. stock oil line is 5/8", supercoolers are 3/4", gotta replace the oil line with 3/4" but the hose clamp pulls it down around the 5/8" hose barbs just fine, just be sure to use a quality bradied hose and not some run of the mill cheapy with a thin wall.

CFM has made that square intake for the predator too, from what I heard somebody did some dynoing on the predator showing the newer model improved DS intake boot retrofitted to the predator made more HP than the square aluminum intake. Since the square intake doesn't offer any velocity increase down a funneling tapered track I would guess the HP would be comparable to a carb mount filter - higher than that of a collapsing intake boot but lower than that of the newer rigid intake boot.

How hard is it to remove the carb with the airbox in place, can you do it without moving the airbox back a bit?

Quick Reply: NEW alum. Air box