CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Took my jugg and piston to the dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took my jugg and piston to the dealer today

the jugg is fine he said he will hone it but he said my piston skirt is a little worn anyway, for a new piston rings head gasket piston pin circlips and base gasket he quoted me a price of $316.65, i know i need to use new circlips but can i use my piston pin again? it fits really snug and no wear marks or grooves on it,

Old 12-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thats quite the price! I'm not saying he is overcharging, as I hate my dealer, and don't deal with him, so I don't get involved with OEM prices much. But if I were you I'd look into some other options to get this stuff other than your dealer. Maybe like people who have switched something over and have spare parts laying around. Who knows, but good luck whatever you do!

PS, I use the old pins again, as long as like you said, it fits snug and whatnot. Don't want the piston clankin around in there...lol, as for if you're supposed to or not, I don't know, but I do with no problems.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Is he just going to hone the cylinder or is he also sending it out for a "NICK" job? For that money, I would probably go buy a Piston from Mr. HP and have one of us put it in for you. Then again, I aint driven to MN. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I would seriously consider a new and higher compression piston. I have an 11.5:1 RWR, but if I were to do it again, I would probably go get Erics plunger. Looks to be the shiznit.

Just my two cents. As far as the price goes, I'm sure that comes WITH labor right..... If you took your jug and head to the dealer, then you're probably mechanically inclined enought to put it back on yourself. If you need help and direction, just ask us. You could save a hunk of dough. An extra C-Note and you're at 12 or 13:1. NO BRAINER in my book.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Now that I think of it. Sounds like a crock to me. What does he mean... the "piston skirt is a little worn away"? What was the original problem, and why do you have it torn down? please get me up to speed so that I can give some better advice...

Old 12-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

If the piston skirt is worn it would show visual signs. ??

try and get some one with a mic to measure it (machine shop) if the skirt has worn it will be at 90 degrees to the gudgeon/wrist pin.
so if it measures out to be round then its still as new and i would question the need to replace.
im also not sure on the nickasil bore thing i dont work on engines that have this but i would find out if it is a good idea to hone it if the cross hatching is still evident, Maybe it will be required to brake in the new rings? im sure some of the other guys on here will know

Old 12-28-2004, 05:02 AM
Pro Rider

i am taking it down to freshing it up over the winter bigdaddy, it ran fine compression was 185psi with the lever deactivated so i though she needed to be gone through, it never puffed blue smoke on start up started great even below 30 degree weather here in mn, although i had it a bit rich, lol anyway it never backfired or anything i just wanted a winter project and i wanted to get to know my ds,he is just gonna hone it, i have rebulit several rotax 2 stroke triples this is my first 4 stroke so please bear with me, i have the cdrom and it says to mike the piston skirt 16mm from the bottom 90 degress perpendicular from piston pin, service limit is 99.94 mm i used my digital caliper and got 99.93mm, i need to buy a micrometer or have a machine shop mic it, there is a fewscuff marks on the skirts, i put my top ring in pushed it down 16mm with the piston so it would be square in the bore and the end gap is suppose to be 1mm and my end gap was 2mm, i have thought about going with a higher compression piston for the money but i plan on keeping stock carb getting mrhp endcap and ported intake is getting like a 11.1 piston worth it?

Old 12-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider

well here is one for you i just measured my wrist pin the service limit is 21.98mm mine measured 21.97mm but i used my digital caliper and yes i did zero it out before i used it, maybe my caliper is not as accurate as a micrometer lol that might be my problem lol

Old 12-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

I would look for a high comp piston. It would work just fine with what you are going to do. Aftermarket pistons for the most part are forged and will take a bit more abuse than the stock one as well. I have a 11.5 to 1 RWR that I got from a member for 110 and it was like brand new. I replaced the rings and for 170 (after the new rings) I had a brand new piston that yo u can still run pump gas with. Anyways my feeling is why spend the money on stock when aftermarket is that much better and almost the same price.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

anyone have a stock used piston laying around with low hours on it? thanks

Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

jackass650 i just seen on ebay big waynester had a stock piston on there with 10 hrs on it you might want to check it out and help bigwaynester[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2004, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Just cause your piston has a few lines "scuffs" on it, that doesn't mean anything. If anything, and understanding you that you want to spend as little money as possible, I'd get a new ring package. I believe that RWR has a gapless wring package for $70. I know he has one, but it might only be for their piston. Call them up and see. At any case, I WOULDN'T spend the 3+ bills on something that you don't need. the 2mm gap could have been almost that from the factory......... Your compression was fine! Don't do it. Get your 11.5:1 piston or Eric's 12:1, or at the very least/most, get some new rings. Don't let any-old-buddy mess with your cylinder. Your cylinder sounds like its just fine.

Just my two cents.......

Heck, my last compression check yeilded a wopping 125psi. Ran the noss a little too lean last month.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Even with that much of a drop, my bikes still runs strong and EXTREMELY reliable.