CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm45 vs Lectron 46HV

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm45 vs Lectron 46HV

Ok it is time to upgrade my carb. I was thinking about geting the tm45 but then i heard the 46hv will smoke the tm45 so what do you guys think.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

there is alot of talk about this, but the lectron will not smoke the tm45. they are very close in hp. i think it was 1hp diff. and that is probably from the 1 mm lol. j/k. just do a search, i heard the 46 will stick and the 45 has a hard pull. but hightower fixed mine. if i was you i would get the 45. they are a simple carb. but thats my thoughts.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

we'll find out in march. Flyin DS has the lectron I have the tm we both got tuned at the same place both have the same mods so we'll see how they compare on the sand at LS at easter.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

that will be a good race! i think ill bring the ETON 90 and put some paddles on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

I haven't seen very many that know how to tune a lectron and and TM. Most just know one or the other.

Who did the tuning??

Old 01-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

bom you need to come to little sahara on easter!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

I'm afraid I all ready have to many travel plans for my wife. LOL

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think that you'll see a huge difference between the two. It should probably come down to your riding style. I've had both, raced both on my sled, and tuned each. The Lectron makes more torque in my opinion, but about the same HP. The TM has a tough throttle, but as Shmee said, it can be fixed with a little TLC. The Lectron will probably have the "suck-shut" problem at low idle. The TM is, in my opinion, WAY easier to tune. The Lectron would seem easy to tune when you are messing with a needle, but needles aren't at your local store. Start messing with power jets in combination with your needle...... good luck. Now for someone who exclusively or primarily works on Lectrons then it should be pretty easy.

for drag racing, there is NO question in my mind.... Mr. HP's Lectron 46 or 48HV. Numbers and seat-o-pants don't lie. It's a MONSTER.

All around carb, I'd have to go with the TM. Trailability is unmatched, and parts are EASY to get. You can dang near get Mikuni parts at 7-11. Idle is much smoother and controllable, and with the addition of the pump - absolutely NO HESITATION. I went back to the TM because I needed more trailability, but wanted HP for duning.

Remember, that the Lectron was NEVER meant to be a trail worthty carb. Mr. HP has done extensive work to the carb to get it where it is. And for racing, I don't think there is anything better. Choose what type of riding you do the most, and then pic your carb. For example, if you primarily dune, I'd go with the Lectron, hands down. If you do a 50/50 mix between trail/desert and duning, the TM might be a better choice. If yo drag and ride an occasional trail, Lectron is again your choice. There might be another option out there though.... look into the Lectron 44. If the trailability characteristics are there, it may be the way to go.

Good luck and be safe

Old 01-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

what is a bigger bang for the buck the tm45, the lectron 46hv or the lectron 44hv

Old 01-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know much about the 44 yet. Not too many have said alot about it. A new Lectron with twist or thumb set up will run you about 650 - 700. A new TM will put you in at about 500. Used TM's go about 175 - 250 (which is a GREAT deal. I am probably not the guy to ask... I went from stock to a TM, then a Lectron, then back to stock, and now the TM45. I REALLY like my tm..... once the throttle pull is solved, then you are right as rain. It's not quite the monster out of the hole that the Lectron is, but it's very nice. Especially with a piston, cams. Also, it works REALLY will with nitrous.

Quick Reply: tm45 vs Lectron 46HV