CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How does your DS do in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does your DS do in the snow?

Kenda dominators get worse traction than any other MX style tire in the world, they absolutely suck ***. top that off with not enough ground clearance, and the heavy front end of a DS.

The DS does just as well in the snow as any other 2-wheel drive wuad out there, and better than some, given the right tire and very low air pressure - like 3 psi.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies....I'll start tire shopping as soon as I can.......

Old 01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

not sure about anyone else here but i have never been able to go threw more than 3-4" of snow without getting stuck (even with realtors) pretty much try to stay on the semi hard pack trails for the most fun. i would like to try a set of front ski's on mine and see how that works? i think a forum member here has a ds with ski's he would know more.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JEFFROE
not sure about anyone else here but i have never been able to go threw more than 3-4" of snow without getting stuck (even with realtors) pretty much try to stay on the semi hard pack trails for the most fun. i would like to try a set of front ski's on mine and see how that works? i think a forum member here has a ds with ski's he would know more.
hmmm i wonder who that might be[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], lol the skis do help with floating the front end, and it will turn alot better if you have good tires on the back, if the snow is wet heavy snow than you will have hard time gettin threw more than 6" with good tires like mud machines(which i am a big fan of now, they are way better than my half worn realtors), and this weekend we got about 12" or more of powder and my ds wit skis and my brother mud machine tires on the back i had no problem getting through,

Old 01-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

yah!! lilnotts has the ski's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] hey where did you get them again? we just got a bunch of snow and i would like to try a set. also what do you think about chains on the rear tires for traction? i wish we could ride the snowmobile trails here in southern wisconsin, it would be a blast. as it stands we have to go north to black river falls (about 2 1/2 hours ) to ride the snow trails[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] oh well it's better than sitting at home.

p.s. have you ever used a tire cutter? i was wondering if you were to cut every other paddle off of the realtors if they would work better in snow?

Old 01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

steve... i got my money order . sorry i did not reply i have been out to sea. by the way maxxis razors did well for me in northeast ohio snow in dec. when i was on leave. i liked them. jm2c[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

How much tread is left on the tires. Compare a new tire 2 a partial used tire makes a big diff. DS isn't the greatest sport quad on snow, but its still lots of pun. I know a Predator is a great bike in the snow. At least compared to the DS.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

i bought the 4-snows this yr and i went riding all weekend and only got stuck a few times i am very happy with them. i ran them backwards since ppl said they get better traction that way. The only thing i wasn't happy with was my front holeshots 23" XCT they just filled with snow and never cleared and the only way i could do a sharp turn was to whip it around. But i would defantly recommend the 4-snows.

Hey Mrneg9 what part of south jersey do u live in? i'm in salem county.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

A prob. that occurs for me when ridin in powder is that my brakes or somewheres on the inside of my front tire fills with snow/ice and locks up. Scary as hell when your traveling fast and that happens.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

the skis are skis for a 96' MXZ and they are just custom mounts, i have thought about making them and selling them on ebay(you would have to find your own skis, i've seen ski-doo flex skis which come stock on 95% of the 99-present ZX chassis sleds got for about $150us), if i made some of these mounts how many of you think you would buy them? and how much would you be willing to pay?

Quick Reply: How does your DS do in the snow?