CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How does your DS do in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does your DS do in the snow?

I don't think i would ever put ski's on my quad. I have a sled anywayz. If there is too much snow for my quad, i would probably be sledding. And visversa.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilnotts
the skis are skis for a 96' MXZ and they are just custom mounts, i have thought about making them and selling them on ebay(you would have to find your own skis, i've seen ski-doo flex skis which come stock on 95% of the 99-present ZX chassis sleds got for about $150us), if i made some of these mounts how many of you think you would buy them? and how much would you be willing to pay?
I think you might be just as well off to sell directions and pics of how you made them. That way you dont really have any cost or much time in them. And of coarse give a discount to all of us on here.

And for the snow, 22 mud machines are great. Went through 4-7 inch powder just fine with mine the other day. They do spin the whole way but you can get going great and I never did get stuck.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BOMBSAINT
steve... i got my money order . sorry i did not reply i have been out to sea. by the way maxxis razors did well for me in northeast ohio snow in dec. when i was on leave. i liked them. jm2c[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Good. I figured I'd here from you sooner if you didn't get it!

Thanks again Jason......

Old 01-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

i would like to be a test rider for the new product[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] maybe give some exposure and test the product in the real world not just on paper the way some do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] ok maybe $50.00 us? i have a set of ski's off a ski-doo i can use. pm me asap. thanks jeff.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

well lilknotts after carefully studying your pics i think i can build a set, i have my skies off my 98 machz the spindle bolts are different from 98 on up, i think they went a few mm smaller in diameter cause i had 2002 machz skis on mine and i had to drill out the saddle holes for the spindle bolt if that makes sense?im gonna be running 22's so the peice going down from the spindle would have to be longer than it would for 20's like you told me to keep the quad level, all i really have to do is find out what size the front spindle is and find someplace that sells brass bushings there is a local shop here i can order my steel from and i have a wirefeed welder (miller 300), I am curious if you have any flat spots on your spindle from the bushings that has been a concern of mine since i have to put bearings back on the spindles when i take of the skis, I am trying to think of someway i can build a bracket that i can take of my rim and bolt it to my stock bolt pattern and leave my caliper and everything on and maybe bend a peice of steel like you have and bolt it to the fender mount so the ski and bracket will not rotate but then i have more weight than you do, maybe get two peices of thick aluminum angle iron and bolt them to the hub bottom studs 1 or two studs apart going down to my ski saddle kinda like a V with the bottom of the V sitting in the ski saddle and make a small bracket down there, but then i still need the bracket to stop it all from trying to turn but all thats to that is a bracket bent to bolt to the fender mount, sounds like a lot of work, how much you want for your design? did it do any damage to your spindles? you had to take off your calipers or just pulled the pads andwhat did you do about the front brake lever?

Old 01-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Like Dabomb03 mentioned,

The Maxxis 4-Snow tires are the best in the snow.

Here in Canada where snow is more than abondant, all two wheel drive ATVs have 4-Snow or Pro-Wedge tires in the winter with low air pressure. Nothing can beat them. Holeshots or Razr's small grooves which fill in quickly with snow, thus, leading to lose traction. Bear Claws or deep groove tires just sink deeper in the snow, thus, being even more stuck. 4-Snow float on snow and have the perfect smooth small paddle groove pattern (don't won't to sink) that moves you forward. You can easily pop a wheelie in deep snow, great traction.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

And for the extremist who want the venture through many feet of snow, we buy:

http://www.atvtrack.com/flash/index.html

Look under product for Traction+: Model Bombardier DS650, Baja or X. Front skis and tracks are avaible.
Cool video and photo gallery (see KFX700 pic, same type of kit as ds650 in gallery!

Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

just looked at there site TRAXION+[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] did you see the hand guards and air deflector? on there web site they show a 400 kawi with the ski's and rear track with the wind deflector kit on the handle bars, looks hot!!! not sure if they will fit a ds but $150 will buy a set.

they don't offer a ski kit anymore for a ds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] looks like i will have to build my own.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

I called a local distributor yesterday and they told me I could order the ski and track kits separate.
But $2500 for both is out of my price range right now. I did not check on separate kit prices.
I’ll agree that looks sweet though….

picture of DS with skis n track kit

Old 01-27-2005, 02:54 PM
sam
Pro Rider

The Maxxis 4-Snow tires are the best in the snow.

Here in Canada where snow is more than abondant, all two wheel drive ATVs have 4-Snow or Pro-Wedge tires in the winter with low air pressure. Nothing can beat them. Holeshots or Razr's small grooves which fill in quickly with snow, thus, leading to lose traction. Bear Claws or deep groove tires just sink deeper in the snow, thus, being even more stuck. 4-Snow float on snow and have the perfect smooth small paddle groove pattern (don't won't to sink) that moves you forward. You can easily pop a wheelie in deep snow, great traction.

I can vouch for the 4 snows as well, its like going to the dunes w/ your stock tires then you try paddles and your eyes go WOW. I was going through at least 8 in. snow w/ them highly recomend them. only one thing, IMO they gets souch great traction that your front end seems to push more in the corners. I to have some skis and Im gona try them w/ the 4 snows this week end.

Quick Reply: How does your DS do in the snow?