CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I got one! - Finally

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got one! - Finally

Originally posted by: sam
cheap mods.
1) 15t front sprocket rocky mt.atv $15
2). MR. HP end cap around $100 or mod quad around $50 , there is one selling on ebay to or make your self (FREE)!.
3) A CDI Box Procom around $100, (But ive heard up and down results on this box)
4) IMHO w/ the stock carb leave the lid on unless your riding in high elevation. This topic is hot so if you want further info do a search on airbox.
Sam,

I did hours of researching old posts this weekend (even during the superbowl). What I finally ended up doing was ordering the MOD "Kit" from on-dunes; you know, the end cap, K&N w/outwear, and additional main jet, nice pkg was in stock and reasonably priced. Then I ordered some sand star fronts and hauler rears from Rocky Mtn. I'm not doing any gearing changes until after I ride it first.

The other thing I did yesterday was do my traditional "once over" which entails going over everything with a fine tooth comb i.e. checking bolt torques etc. MAN, WHAT DO FRENCH CANADIANS HAVE AGAINST TIGHTENING THINGS DOWN???? I'm used to Japanese stuff where I'd find an oddball thing here or there to tighten down an extra turn or something but this DS was unreal. Easily 90% of everthing I touched wasn't close to being snug. Even every zerk on the front end needed 3-4 turns to be screwed in all the way. I'm glad I didn't just buy it and head straight out for a serious weekend of riding. No big deal but I still cant believe how loose everything was.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 PM
sam
Pro Rider

I did hours of researching old posts this weekend (even during the superbowl
Cool, a informed rider is a well a ............................... a cool informed rider [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] you should be very happy with the gains you get!

Old 02-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rich807
Originally posted by: sam
cheap mods.
1) 15t front sprocket rocky mt.atv $15
2). MR. HP end cap around $100 or mod quad around $50 , there is one selling on ebay to or make your self (FREE)!.
3) A CDI Box Procom around $100, (But ive heard up and down results on this box)
4) IMHO w/ the stock carb leave the lid on unless your riding in high elevation. This topic is hot so if you want further info do a search on airbox.
Sam,

I did hours of researching old posts this weekend (even during the superbowl). What I finally ended up doing was ordering the MOD "Kit" from on-dunes; you know, the end cap, K&N w/outwear, and additional main jet, nice pkg was in stock and reasonably priced. Then I ordered some sand star fronts and hauler rears from Rocky Mtn. I'm not doing any gearing changes until after I ride it first.

The other thing I did yesterday was do my traditional "once over" which entails going over everything with a fine tooth comb i.e. checking bolt torques etc. MAN, WHAT DO FRENCH CANADIANS HAVE AGAINST TIGHTENING THINGS DOWN???? I'm used to Japanese stuff where I'd find an oddball thing here or there to tighten down an extra turn or something but this DS was unreal. Easily 90% of everthing I touched wasn't close to being snug. Even every zerk on the front end needed 3-4 turns to be screwed in all the way. I'm glad I didn't just buy it and head straight out for a serious weekend of riding. No big deal but I still cant believe how loose everything was.
hmmm thats wierd, when i took mine apart after the accident mine was the opposite, everything was really tight and loctited,

Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought mine everything was loose too. The Frenchy's don't believe in tightening things.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:33 PM
sam
Pro Rider

hmmm thats wierd, when i took mine apart after the accident mine was the opposite, everything was really tight and loctited,
My 2000 was the same way

When I bought mine everything was loose too. The Frenchy's don't believe in tightening things.
this must me a new model thing, there slacking up there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

I tell ya it was bad. The tank bolts were barely finger tight, I already mentioned zerks. One thing I will say is that the swingarm pivot, motor mounts, shocks and wheels were tight at least.

You know what else was weird to me is having to use 2 wrenches to tighten things up i.e. "loose" nuts on the back of everything vs. the japanese way of welding nuts to the back of mounting points. I suppose it could have it's advantages but there certainly is a culture shock switching over to something that's not designed/put together in the orient.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Rich807,

Yeah but access to the carb is easier than any out out there, chain adjustment is brilliant, and removing the clutch cover (when it comes time to it) is a breeze.