CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

silver lake duners question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silver lake duners question?

Hey Hightower. We run under 10psi in our jeep. You are right, it makes a big difference. But with a jeep or truck, you will need an automatic to make it up test hill. Or you will need big tires to crawl up with a manual. I have to hit the bottom of the hill wide open 35mph, low range to make it up. It will downshift to second half way up and downshift to 1st just before I crest the hill. I wouldn't even attempt it with my quad because I know it won't make it up without paddles. I just barely made it up the Bull gap sand dune and that is smaller and less steep.
BryceGTX

Old 02-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here's some pictures for your general insterest
Ride Pictures and SIlver Lake Dnues

Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

I have a '04 DS650 Baja-X and I made it up with the stock tires aired down to about 2 psi from a dead stop at the very base of test hill. My buddy that was with me had a bare stock raptor and he was right behind me the whole way up, and all the way through the 2 or 3 hills behind test hill also. And to let everybody else know my buddy's girlfriend has a 250 trail boss with knobbies that have seen better days and I took that up test hill a couple of times. It was really rutted up bad and it wasn't just an easy stroll up the hill but the 250 Trail Boss made it all the way to the top every time. Knobbies will work for you just fine, unless you try to sand drag then you will need paddles to even think about trying to keep up with everyone else, I tried once with the knobbies just for fun and I can tell you that wet sand hurts when it is getting shoveled on to you by a built shee with big paddles.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hightower—Vary nice set of pictures of Silver Lake.
Can’t wait to take the D.S. there for the first time this year...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hightower when you go during the week and it is slow,does the dnr allow you to play
on the hills?Or is it still one way?

Old 02-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

thanks guys for all the info, thanks for the pics too.................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] i wanna ride sooo bad right now, i cant wait for silver lake, its gonna be great.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: atvaddict01
Hightower when you go during the week and it is slow,does the dnr allow you to play
on the hills?Or is it still one way?
I don't want to answer for Hightower because he's been more than I have....but last time I made the trip was on a weekday and no-one stopped us from playing on the hills. I only seen the DNR out in the dunes once the whole trip.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes ditto Coyoteman, DNR rarely bothers taking a drive out through the week, maybe once thru the day and then again in the evening to make sure the place is empty at closing time.

You can play all you want on the upside of the one-ways, sidehill and carve up u-turns and such, but once you cross the top best go on down and play on the next upside. Sidehilling along the crest of a razor the length of its entirety, and then teetering over the razor from one side to the other, is prolly the funnest part of duning aside from working bowls, which SL does not have any of. Now there's something you pretty much must have paddles for!

Also thru the week there is no need to go to the vouture booth, you just go right in the entrance and pay at the window at the entrance gate if there is an attendant there, which there usually is not as previously mentioned, and if not then a DNR truck just makes rounds thru the parking lot a couple times thru the day to hit people up for money.

damn that's some fine tail in that avitar gwinn!

Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

jdub260, Yeh right.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

thanks hightower, i wish it wasa tail i could call mine though, unfortunately it isnt.

Quick Reply: silver lake duners question?