CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

silver lake duners question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silver lake duners question?

I will be at Silver Lake with my Craycraft Racing 686 from June 22-26 this summer! Hope to do some fun racing and dune riding...will be my first trip. Several guys will be with me including a YFZ or two, and a Z400.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys with DS's that run an aftermarket end cap, you need to be spark arrested to run Silver Lake. On Dunes has came out with the hot ticket, and end cap with the disc system, if you run the 18 discs it come with you should have no loss of power, I ran 18 discs with the woods pipe, and it ran great. I think it will be above the MI. sound limit, but I never had a problem with what I ran, they just looked at the discs and let me in. I just saw this item and though I would let you guys know about it.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

wow, ask and you shall recieve! I inquired about a disked end cap for the stock pipe til I was blue in the face, now she has arrived!
Pretty cool, more options coming out all the time!

Old 02-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

You guys saying that the test hill is 60 -100 feet tall are full of it. 60 feet is only 20 yards (bow hunters) and the test hill and even the drop-off at the end of the directional traffic is well over 100 feet .

Momentum and power is the key to making it up the hill, I have done it many times in a GMC Jimmy and a Jeep with no more than 8-10 lbs of air in the tires but you must get a good run at it.

They will test you at the gate for db's and flag height (10ft) so be prepared (at least on weekends). It’s a madhouse there on summer weekends, just getting in and the vouchers are a biatch, especially holidays. But its well worth the effort foe the fun![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

silver lake DNR link

Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

anybody that thinks that test hill is over 100 feet high is totally full of it and a dreamer or he's stoned, I'll wager a pink slip any day of the week on that fact. and I'm talking about elevation, not distance traveled getting to the top of course, there's a big difference between how high something is and how far away the top is.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

go to my link above in my earlier post, go to Silver Lake pics, 3rd one down, that's Test Hill. See the truck at the bottom? its 6 feet tall with 1 foot of its tires sunk in the sand. draw an imaginary line across the screen even with the top of the hill. How many of those 5 foot trucks are gonna stack up before you reach the line? a lot less than 20, which is what it would take to make 100 feet.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

your kidding me right, you cant judge height from that picture!
Look at the one from the parking lot, those trees are 60 ft tall easy and the hill is in the FAR background and is still larger. You know the farther away something is the smaller it appears!??

Old 02-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Hightower
go to my link above in my earlier post, go to Silver Lake pics, 3rd one down, that's Test Hill. See the truck at the bottom? its 6 feet tall with 1 foot of its tires sunk in the sand. draw an imaginary line across the screen even with the top of the hill. How many of those 5 foot trucks are gonna stack up before you reach the line? a lot less than 20, which is what it would take to make 100 feet.
Look at the first picture. Now look at the truck parked a ways behind the "SIERRA" out of the lot. Now stack that baby up a few times and tell me how tall it is. Probably about 10 pickup heights give or take. Plus the hill is farther back in the picture.

The hill may not be 100+ feet tall, but you are cutting it short calling it 60 or less.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at some topographic maps of Silver Lake and Test Hill is 140 ft tall from its lowest point in the dunes to the peak. The staging area drops down 30 feet to the start of the climb. From the start of the climb, I count 8 elevation rings or 80 feet. The last elevation ring is 100 feet wide and 400 feet long. I know that with a horizontal distance of 50 feet, the climb has to be at least 20 feet higher. There just isn't enough resolution in the map to see it. Now if that climb is not 100 feet, I would be very suprised. This confirms my suspicion that the major error in Hightower's GPS is the 30 foot drop from the staging area. And as I have seen with GPS, the height measurements can be off by 10 or 20 feet easily.
I hope this clears it up for you guys.
BryceGTX

Old 02-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think its just that I'm so tall, everything just appears really small to me! I'll take your word on the topo map, documentation like that is hard to argue! My first trip there years ago it seemed much bigger, but after dozens of trips it seems to be shrinking....in my mind that is.

Quick Reply: silver lake duners question?