CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

silver lake duners question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silver lake duners question?

im gonna be going to silver lake this year dune riding, and i plan on keeping with my stock rear tires so i can roost and play around. Im not a hill shooter so i wont need paddles i dont think. I have a 01 raptor, full yoshi system, just wondering what yall thought if i should keep the stock front sprocket or drop a tooth.

I would post it in yamaha, but i dont get alot of silver lake responses there, and ive heard alot about silver lake in this forum.

thanks.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

i will be there in late may and i am gonna keep my stock set sprockets on my ds. it will be my first time there so i dont see changing alot of stuff for the first time. i am sure i will have a blast with my set up as is . besides i am not going to race or shoot hills either..................just roost raptors.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

maybe we will cross paths.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

that would be cool.....PM me when you guys are planning on going.

thanks for the info.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there with 2 stock raptors once, they both had paddles, one guy ran stock gearing, the other went down a tooth in the front. the guy that went down a tooth smoked the other guy, and a lot of the other stock bikes that were out there. You could get by either way. You will still have fun with out paddles, the hills are not that big.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

I had a blast on a stock warrior at silver lk.I imagine youll be fine.
Last time i was up there i saw quite a few running stock tires.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes the tallest dune is barely over 50 feet, stock tires get you around everywhere just fine. paddles are more fun, but not necesary here.
if you were running paddles I'd say gear down, but since you're sticking with knobbies I would imagine you stock gearing is probably best.

I will be at SL May 25 and 26 this spring!
Flatlanders Trips '05

Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

are we talking about the same liver lake? the first dune out of the gate is a hell of alot taller than 50'!! guys with stock machines and no paddle tires i don't think so. we have been there twice and not that the park is that big there are tall azz dunes, they might be just one way but good luck getting up without. spend the $100 and buy a set because you will ride the sand again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah we're talking about the same Silver Lake, in Michigan, and I've ridden everywhere there with knobbies and seen many a machine doing the same.
That first dune outa the gate may look over 50 feet because of the grade and distance to the top, and if the sand is good and dry and its a breezy day it may break 60 feet or close to 70 with a really steep and sharp razor, but none there are any bigger than that, and that's GPS confirmed with altitude readings. there is nothing anywhere remotely near 100 feet even, these are the smallest dunes in the country.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the 250 ex out there before, stock everything, no problems getting around, just keep her pinned in 2nd up the big hills. I was unsure of this myself, so I took it around the dunes before I let the wife ride it. BTW the wife never did climb any hills, she stayed on the flats.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Hightower. I got to agree with JEFFROE. I think that first hill is much taller than 50 feet. I would say that bottom to top is a 100 feet or more. Remember, there is a big drop off from the staging area to the base of the hill. Maybe your difference is there. Also I have noticed a big variance in the height calculation on my GPS when it is sitting still. It sometimes varies 20 or 30 feet. I know that one of the web sites in the area says the highest hill is 140 feet, but thats probably the pedestrian hill hear the small lake.
I hope this helps
BryceGTX

Quick Reply: silver lake duners question?