CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

how can i tell if my engine is damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i tell if my engine is damaged?

Oil in your airbox is from the crankcase breather. How much is in there? We aren't talking a 1/2 quart or anything are we? I can see it making a mess.

You need to change your oil. You should know where the filter is. How much have you ridden on this same oil?

How old is your air filter?

Let's get some basics out of the way. . . for a fire (camp fire type) you need fuel / air and heat. . . If you don't have enough air the fire smokes. . . if you have too much fuel, the fire smokes. . . if you don't have heat. . . you don't have a fire.

For combustion in your engine you need: Air + Fuel + Compression (compression creates heat) and lastly, you need spark.

If your air filter is plugged up you don't have enough air so, you also have too much fuel (you are FAT) so, your bike will be sluggish.

A clogged air filter, dented pipe, etc. will effect combustion and could lead to damage of your bike. You don't want to soot up your piston or your head-valves. You don't want to suck dirty air into your bike either as it will eventually cause damage (kinda like your lungs look if you are a smoker.)

Old 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Range Rover

i dont know how to change the oil on my bike, and i didnt know how often to change my oil. i have never owned a quad until now, and when i bought it, nobody told me to change the oil ever, i just figured it would need it ever so often, and since i dont ride my quad a whole lot, i figured it would only need it once every year or so, since a vehicle needs it around 3000 miles, i figured a quad wouldnt need it every few months. but i did fill it up with oil the other day, so do i need to change the oil again? or what do i need to do? also, i still dont know where my oil filter is.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

sit on the quad and look down at the rear brake lever then look just above the chain cover you will notice a small round cover with two allen screws holding it in place try removing that you will find the filter. when you change oil it takes close to 4 quarts.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You shouldn't burn much oil.

The oil in the bike is also used to cool the clutch so, it gets dirty real quick. Also, you ride in dusty conditions. I would change it more often.

Try to hook up with someone in your area that knows the bike. It will help to hearn a little about the engine, axel bearings, etc.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Another thing you can do is check ebay for a shop manual on CD or paper for that matter. The CD version usualy sells for about 10 bucks on Ebay. It'll show you where evrything is and tell you how often to do the maintenance and stuff.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Range Rover

alright, well i thank you all for the help. looks like im gonna drop her off at the shop and maybe get a little help from them identifying different parts and what not. thanx again, wish me luck, im praying they just change my stock carb to the TM 45 and she runs great...thanx

Old 02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm no pro but a little oil in the air box could be caused from the crank case hose venting into the box if you still have it attached.

I'm just say'in....lol

Old 02-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

well see, im no pro either, as a matter of fact, im not even worthy of being called an amature. i know nothing about engines, i know nothing about mechanics. i dont even know what a crankcase is....sorry