CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Disked sparky end cap for stock muffler is here

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disked sparky end cap for stock muffler is here

Disked sparky end cap for stock muffler

Came across this recently, to my knowledge it is the first and only USFS approved spark arrestor option for the DS650 stock muffler.
yes I have seen the one on e-bay, but it is not USFS approved, and for where I ride they do check!

Ask and you shall recieve man, we talked about it around here off and on a bit, and now here it is.
Yet another option for the DS, you just can't have too many!

Old 02-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looks good. Options are great; I'm not sure why some people say there isn't much available for the DS. Sure if you ask Curtis Sparks the DS650 doesn't exist, (except when they started beating him in drag races earlier this year - that has got to hurt to get beat by a machine you don't even acknowledge!) However looking in the right places there is a good number of quality parts availabe for the DS - perhaps that is the problem, the DS650 market isn't flooded with the cheap low quality parts. I guess Yamaha owners don't mind replacing the aftermarket parts just like they don't mind replacing the factory parts that break.

I heard Yamaha makes almost as much cash in parts sales for the Raptor as they do for unit sales - that really tells you something about their parts sales!!!

Old 02-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I like the way it looks. probably will not meet our oregon dunes DB limits. at least its USFS sparky though. maybe they will get a sound check on that bad boy for us?

Old 02-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Any disk system is infinitely adjustable for sound, if it flunks a test you just take some disks out to quiet it down as needed. yes performance goes down along with the dB, but at least you're still riding and not packing up to go home.

I like the fact that this endcap has an exhaust shield to deflect the soot away from the subframe.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Good looking endcap.
Justin

Old 02-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I managed to try one of these out today. I have an 03' Baja and on the baja muffler this really looks nice, very professionally done with a high polished finish. The cap I was given the opportunity to try is the 1st one out the door I believe. I set my DS to the out the door stock setup. 165 main jet, stock needle, stock air filter, air/fuel set at 2 turns out, and of course the stock pipe and end cap. We time a series of runs up Comp hill and a second set of timings on a flat 300ft +- drag strip. After getting the initial reading we installed the new end cap Kit and headed back to see what kind of difference this made.
At Comp hill the improvement was not as great as I was hoping to see, This did help out I gained a good second in time over stock but not that big WOW factor I was hoping for. Now on the flat drag runs it did provide that Kick in the pants that puts a smile on your face, I had a hard time keeping the front end down on takeoff from second gear and would have to back off a little to get under control, It easily made a full gears worth of improvement here.
Given more time, I think a little tuning will really help get the full potential out of this, 18 Disk may be too much for a stock motor to get the torque needed for High speed hill climbs. Sound wise, I’m sure as tested it’s over the Oregon Dunes limit, it’s not too bad I would guess around 98db but it’s only a guess, removing a few more disk would help quiet it down and would help pull more low end torque out of the motor I feel.
I believe the next step is to get in some Dyno time, that’s the only way to get real numbers and have the ability to quickly make tweaks to maximize the gains. I was told this may happen in the next week or so.
Anyway I have already wrote too much here, It looks like this has real potential to help out the guy that wants the most bang for the buck and still have same cool looking Bing Bing added as a bonus.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

DaSandBomb,
If you want to ship that end cap to me I will dyno it for FREE! I have a brand new out of the crate 05 BAJAx that we can dyno and then switch to the disc end cap and recommended jetting instructions for a direct comparison of hp and tq. I will post the dyno sheet so we can see the differences.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

That is a great looking end cap just what i am looking for[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Any idea what the price tag will be?

Old 02-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
DaSandBomb,
If you want to ship that end cap to me I will dyno it for FREE! I have a brand new out of the crate 05 BAJAx that we can dyno and then switch to the disc end cap and recommended jetting instructions for a direct comparison of hp and tq. I will post the dyno sheet so we can see the differences.
that would be interesting to see.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 AM
sam
Pro Rider

so is this using 4" or 5' disks? are they supper trap disks? the end cap looks nice but there is no U.S. forestry approved stamp on it is there? I think this wont be a huge prob. except to the very worst riding spots were the pick your machine over like a Stinky fart.
I'm glad to see some one finely step up. the creator of my alum. air box will be making one as well. how soon I don't know. any one got a $$ on this yet?

Quick Reply: Disked sparky end cap for stock muffler is here