CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil pressure sensor tip

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure sensor tip

Hello everyone. I have being reading this forum for 6 months and appreciate all the info I cen get from you guys. I own a 2004 X, and love it (updated from a Quadracer 250). I do desert racing and some motocross (yeah, its heavy but it's fun!!).
I would like to share something about fixing the oil pressure sensor on the Bomb. As some of you have experimented, one saturday, just before the long awaited weekend trip, I turned the engine on and the red light did not go off. I immediatly turned it off and checked oil level, was right, turned it on and checked oil flowing thru the tank. So the answer was the sensor.
I have read here its common for this item to go bad, but wait, dont throw it away, you might save 8 dlls and your riding day.
First, unplug and unscrew the sensor, next find something you can introduce on the bottom hole of the sensor (small allen key can do). Connect the sensor, and make it contact with an engine part (so it can have ground). Turn switch on, see the red light on, then press thru the hole and see if it turns off (you can feel the spring moving, like a swich), if so, the sensor is good and you have low oil pressure, if not, do the following:
Put the sensor in a dry pan, plastic side up, and heat the pan for 10 minutes, taking care the plastic on top does not melt. After that (be carefull, its hot), place the sensor upside down (pastic side down, not in the pan!!) and introduce the allen key (or whatever you used to press the internal switch) and hold it there for 4 hours. You can put a weight on top of the allen key, I used a hammer. Just be sure its pressed while "dryiing"'.
After that my sensor worked again, and I have done this pocedure with two other friend's bomb and it worked. Seems like if water gets in, the sensor can not open the circuit.

Hope this helps

Old 02-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. As a preventative measure Bombardier now makes a rubber boot that goes over the oil sensor. I have had it on mine since blowing out the original sensor and the new one has performed flawlessly. It really keeps the water out well.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

That's the best first post, ever.
Mine went out after washing. I had hit the sensor with the hose gun and that was enough to get it wet. I Took it out and dried everything. I rode it and it went out slowly after a week. Never had any problem since. I stay away from it with the hose.
B

Old 02-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

dont mean to rain on your parade but, pushing a switch open with a outside source is not a very acurate test. it could just mean that the switch is out of range. as aposed to low oil pressure. to test it the corect way. you need to pressure test the switch with a gauge to see what pressure opens the circuit. I think they are around 5-10 lbs. at least thats what mine tested at. some good sugestions though.