CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

oil dripping out of crank case filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil dripping out of crank case filter?

shmee,

when you did your leak down test, did you disable the automatic decompressor? If you didn't your test is worthless. The decompressor relieves a lot of cylinder pressure to make engine starting easier, so if you didn't deactivate it, then you got a false reading. I don't know exactly how to deactivate it, but you use a piece of paper or something, do a search or I'm sure someone who has done it can tell you.

There was a theory that the oil leaking out of that tube was caused partially by the air flowing around the 'breather' style filter. I had lots of oil coming out of my 2001 when I had the K&N breather filter on there. Once I went back to stock setup, (as recomended by Mr. HP) there hasn't been any more oil coming out. (If there was, it would be VERY evident in my air box!) I'd bet you don't have nearly the problem (if any?) you think you do. Also did you adjust your valves before doing the compression check? If your valves aren't adjusted you wont have proper cylinder pressure either - again without the valves adjusted you have a false reading. Also valves that are in poor shape would also cause a low pressure reading.

Keep in mind these Rotax engines are damn near bullet proof (in stock form) unless you do something incredibly stupid or get unlucky.

...Hopefully you don't have the engine torn down already!

Old 03-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

blackhawk, i had the motor at tdc. it was completly sealed, the decompressor was not any problem. as i stated before there was no air comming out of the exhaust or the intake. just the crank case. no i dont have it totaly apart yet. and the clearance was all at .004 so that was good. when i had alky in mine it would leak some out, but not as much as this one is. i think we are going to just put new ring in and be done with it. there cheep just some labor and it has about 3 hard seasons on it.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I'd put my money on what Eaglecollector said....

Bad rings cause crank back pressure.....I believe you should be able to feel the pressure thru the vent hose while its running.