CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

need some help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help!!

hey guys well i went riding today in the snow and not 5 minutes went by and my quad cuts out and stalls. so i try starting it back up it turns over and everything but just won't start. i waited 5-10 mins or so after messing with the choke and putting the gas on reserve and it finally started then i rode it again and did it all over again but this time i couldn't get it started again. so its got to be something with the carb right? do u think its just froze up or something? i stopped messin with it cause i was real pissed and i killed the battery. so please point me in the right direction.

thanks
phil

Old 02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default need some help!!

could be loads of stuff. start small. charge your battery up first. check the connections on your kill switch. pull the plugs and clean them up and if they got alot of time on them save yourself some time and get a new set. i had a set of fouled plugs that gave me hell because i was to stubborn to think it was something that simple when it was. the ds WILL NOT start with fouled plugs. period. take off the carb and clean it up as good as you can . check your fuel line for blockage and also your petcock valve on the bottom of the tank comes off and there is a screen in there. make sure your connections are tight on the battery. someone on this forum told me once that four strokes are easy....... gas-air-compression-spark - and it will run. start small and make sure there are no interuptions in the recipe. good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default need some help!!

alright i'll try that stuff today thanks bombsaint

Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default need some help!!

alright well i charged the battery then for the hell of it before checking anything i tried starting it. it started but took a lil while to get it to idle right because i need a valve job real bad. but once i got it warmed up it idled fine for ten minutes. so what u think? anyone kno a good dealer or someone to do a valve job around south jersey? my dealer isn't worth a crap. thanks.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default need some help!!

how do you know you need a valve job? what symptoms lead you to believe that? fill me in.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default need some help!!

Hey i seemed to have the same problem, So i took mine to the dealer. He told me my air cleaner was stopped up and valves needed adjusted. 200 bucks later it ran fine for about 30 minutes the did the same thing. I pulled the top off my carb and found i have a torn diaphram. I replaced that worked ok for 30 min. then did it again. I have fooled around with the needle valve but no help. Minie seems to act up after you wind it out for long period of time. But if you let it set it does good until you rev it high. Good luck keep me informed maybe we share a common problem.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default need some help!!

ok first off things are not fine anymore i was replying when i said it was fine while it was outside running so when i was done i went outside and to turn it off and there was steam coming up the front so i was oh sh#t what now! and it turned out to be anti-freeze comin out but i don't know where i only took a quick look cause i had to leave and i couldn't find out where it was coming from. so i started it back up for a sec and tried to see if would come out again but it wouldn't but i did notice the red light was on. then i noticed out of the bottom of my carb gas was dripping out very quickly leaving a puddle on the engine!!! so do u guys think it overheated? i kno the fan won't come on because the guy that had it before put a switch on the fan and i didn't put it on since was only 35 degress outside. what about the carb??

ok i think i need a valve job because when it's cold and sometimes when it's idling u can hear them tapping. at least it sounds like the valves tapping.

so guys please help i'm about to shot this thing! lol

Old 03-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default need some help!!

ok man you sound like you may have a few problems ...... just remember it is a simple mechanical machine, it can be fixed. period. first of all it just sounds like your float is stuck and gas is draining out of the bowl on the carb. had the same problem. it happens to all quads at one time or another. second the tapping could be your timing chain slapping the side of the head. check the timing chain tensioner. mine was dirty and seized. it is hydrolic and if it doespush against the chain it will let it bang around in there. now you are right though it could be the valves too but start with stuff you can check yourself. next find out exactly where the ati-freeze is coming from and make sure it is anti freeze. if the temp light is on you are not circulating coolant, the fan is not running, and/or your dont have coolant. also if you are losing coolant somewhere but your pump is working you are forcing air pockets into the head with little or no coolant and that will make the cylander heat up real quick and have nothing to cool it. take a minute when you get one and find out where the coolant is coming from. good luck and let us know.