CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Snorkle Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkle Tubes

Has anyone played around with shortening the airbox intake tubes? I was looking at it today and am wondering what it would do if they were cut a few inches shorter so they didn't have to be wedged & squashed up under the tank cover.

I just seems bizarre the way the are jammed up under that tank cowl. I would think if they were shortened a few inches so they drew air from under the front of the seat rather than up under the flow would be much better?????

Old 03-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Snorkle Tubes

they are placed under the tank cover to keep water out when hammering thru deep creek crossings and puddles. but you can rearrange them for more flow if water is not a big concern.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Range Rover
Default Snorkle Tubes

Probably 99.9999% of the riding this quad will see will be just in the dunes. I noticed the left intake tube had been crushed and had an extra hole in it toward the end (bolt head pressed through?) the first time I took the tank off, that can't be good for airflow.

At this point I still have the stock carb so I don't want to mess up the vaccuum design but at the same time I want to maximize the amount to air that can be sucked through the intakes.

Rich

Old 03-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snorkle Tubes

I ride 50% Dunes, 50% Rocky Mountains (mud & water). I removed both snorkles the first week I had it. Inserted a piece of PVC pipe into each opening (left over from removing the snorkles, wrapped a piece of outerwear over the hole and put a hose clamp around it. I clean them off a couple times a year but have never had anything go through into the airbox, I also run without a lid and a K&N but since most of my riding is above 8000ft I need all the air I can get.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Range Rover
Default Snorkle Tubes

Good info. I cut about an inch and a half off the ends today, then pulled the tubes back and zip tied them so they are just below the holes in the tank (out in the open). If I decide to use it for trail riding up in the mountains I'll take the zip ties off and they'll spring up just enough to sit inside the confines of the tank cover.

Going to Dumont next week and will be curious to see if I can tell any difference. I'm definetly going to bring some more main jets though as it was borderline lean burning when I was out yesterday with a 175 main.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snorkle Tubes

Originally posted by: Rich807
Probably 99.9999% of the riding this quad will see will be just in the dunes. I noticed the left intake tube had been crushed and had an extra hole in it toward the end (bolt head pressed through?) the first time I took the tank off, that can't be good for airflow.

At this point I still have the stock carb so I don't want to mess up the vaccuum design but at the same time I want to maximize the amount to air that can be sucked through the intakes.

Rich
The hole on the left snorkle is there for a reason. It's where the crankcase breather hose goes