CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm45 on a raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm45 on a raptor?

hightower just wondering if you have made any more progress with your carb project. did that guy i told you about help any just wondering

Old 04-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

waiting on Raptoid to get the new TM45, we used mine for trials and liked it very well, now he has to buy one to permanently install. the RWR extended neck is not necesary for the Raptor, so you can get a new HSR45 new off e-bay at buy it now price of $277.
got the materials all in for the manifold fabbing, waiting on the carb.

after its over I think Raptoid plans to dyno tune, and I also think he is planning on a dyno tuning of his stock carbs prior also, to compare results and see the true colors of each.

I will keep you posted, as it all unfolds. Turkey season got us slowed down a bit I think!

Old 04-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

oh, and I e-mailed that guy and we talked about it back and forth a bit, he will be geting his packages ready to sell eventually he said, wasn't sure exactly when. he didn't share any pics with me, but was good to talk to.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

here are some updated pics of the project - manifold is all done and at the port shop now getting all opened up and matched to the TM45 bore.

it will be mounted and done by this weekend, first ride on it this weekend hopefully. won't be able to get to the dyno for tuning for a couple more weeks though, but it is planned.

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/galler...s.php?album=33

Old 05-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

Yepper, it's finally coming to a "head"! This project is becoming a reality for me now..... wondered if it was ever going to really work! But it should be mounted and running this Friday! Hope to have the intake and all ported and back in my hands tonight!

Thanks HT for all the help on this upgrade..... couldn't have done it without your TM knowledge![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

cool .if it works i ll take a few .

Old 05-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

project is done, the Raptor runs like a raped ape.
she'll yank 4th gear wheelies without touching the clutch - and it has a +3" swingarm to boot.
granted, its 686 w/ 11:1 comp, cam, porting, and piped.
arm jerking torque no matter where you are in the rev if you stab it.
top end is serious.
2 thumbs up!

like mentioned before, this was not a project taken on to debate single carb vs. dual, its a convenience project for easy jetting on travel and trips to various altitudes that we frequent. while the subject of peak HP cannot be accurately compared due to lack of dyno tuning of either setup as of yet, and while most would would assume and agree that a dual carb setup will yiled the higher peek of the two,
the low and midrange are quite obviously much improved with more serious torque and arm jerk.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hightower,

Are you using main jets at a 2.5 increment so you don't have to monkey with the needle? Or is the needle easy to get to once you rotate the carb?

Also, were did you get those aluminum flanges?

jbt

Old 05-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the flanges were made from 1/4" flat stock, bored to match the tube and cut out with a band saw, trued up on a belt sander.

yes we have 2.5 increment jets, but what does that have to do with the needle positioning?
we tuned the needle for best midrange and transition from pilot, but A/F ratio meter on the dyno will true it all up eventually.

can't get to the needle without removing carb, but that's easily done with seat removal and one hose clamp, off and back on again inside 5 minutes.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hell yeah it runs like a raped ape man!! I can't believe the instant power with the stab of the throttle!

HT, I've rode a couple more times today since tuning it last night and it's GREAT! Idles good, and no complaints anywhere thru the powerband! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

CAN'T WAIT to get on the sand with it Tuesday at Silver Lake!!!!!!!

Thanks Again Chris!!

Quick Reply: tm45 on a raptor?