CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm45 on a raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm45 on a raptor?

any of you guys familiar with single carb set-ups for Raptors?
What size is the Edelbrok carb for Raptors, how is the 2 into 1 intake from edelbrok constructed - what's its bore size and what's it made of, can it be opened up for a tm45?

I know this is a bomb forum, but the question relates and many bomb owners also have raptors so don't bust my chops too bad for asking here!

Old 03-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Im interested also

Old 03-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Chris what Bomb owner here would own a Raptor, LOL.

The Edelbrock carb I believe is 42mm and from what I heard for top end mods (like high speed stuff) it isn't the carb of choice. There is a guy who adapted an HV46 Lectron to use on his Raptor. I can't see why a TM45 wouldn't work.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Chris what Bomb owner here would own a Raptor, LOL.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Thanks Entomber!
Yes I do believe they will work out fairly well, read some old posts in the raptor forums, talked to some guys running singles, lectron 48's and the edlebroks, sounds like a TM will work well.

In case y'all are wondering, this aint being looked into for a performance upgrade, its being looked into for a convenience upgrade. spending the time to tear down and rejet raptor dual carbs multilpe times during a long road trip going from one elevation to the next is the incentive here. stepping to a mikuni flatslide will take the jetting change from an hour to a minute.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey MrMeaner,
Edelbrok intake manifold is $90, comes with gaskets and carb mounting spigot/boot. its 42mm bore on the carb side, with enough wall to open to 48mm. they come pretty rough cast I saw in the pictures, so porting will be desired regardless of bore size, even if sticking with a 42mm carb.

the guy I talked to is using a slightly modified DS intake boot on the back of the carb for its velocity characteristics, and elliminating the raptor airbox.

the raptor fuel tank has to be heated and shaped on the bottom to accomidate lectron throttle cable connection. not sure what will need to be done for the TM's, if anything, since the cable enters nearly flat from the front and off to the side, instead down into the center top. will have to play that by ear.

here are some pics of sixsixT's install with a lectron 48hv

http://forums.atvconnection.com/Photos.cfm?ID=239

Old 03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to hear how the TM45 works.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

sixsixT,

Did the stock thumb throttle on your Raptor open your Lectron? Hightower seems to be doing all the leg work for me. I may switch over to lectron in the future.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We got the Moose throttle with the carb so we never tried it with the stocker.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Did you have mold the stock gas tank? How is your thumb throttle effort? Did you see any gains with the carb? Where did you purchase your intake? Also is there anything else that has to be altered?

Old 03-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Did you have mold the stock gas tank? Yes, to clear the cable.

How is your thumb throttle effort? A tad stiff bringing it off idle, but that may have had a little to do with cable routing. It wasn't bad enough at all to justify reshaping the tank.

Did you see any gains with the carb? We went to the Lectron after extensive changes were made to the engine so there was nothing really to compare it to. We did want to try a set of FCRs that we had access to for comparison but never got the chance.

Where did you purchase your intake? Umm...well... I can say it was an Edelbrock.

Also is there anything else that has to be altered? I trimmed the front of the battery box for a little extra clearance for the air filter. The filter tube/snorkle had to be slightly altered.
Almost forgot. The intake needed to be hogged out, A LOT! But we used a 48HV. Even with a 44 or 46 it would need quite a bit of material remove. The Edelbrock intake is BY NO MEANS a work of art.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: tm45 on a raptor?