CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which Oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Oil ?

I also run the Spectro. I tried the 20w50 and noticed it was harder to shift into gear so I stuck with the 10w40. It seems to work much smoother for me.[/quote]

I have heard that 20w-50 in the bombs made shifting a litter rougher. I have noticed it a little bit in cooler morning temps. But the shifting is still better with the thicker oil when it is hot out the oil is thinning out. The 10w-40 is a good oil, nice temp range, I am trying 20w-50 because it was recommended to me. If it doesn't work out I will run 10w-40 year around. Has anyone ever had any problems with 20w-50? Has anyone heard that some companies are going to ban the use of 10w-40 from use in their quads. I heard this from a mechanic at Bert's in Covina. I guess the companies think the oil might be bad for the quad engines. Let me know what you think of this.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which Oil ?

Originally posted by: w1ngnut
Amsoil is the king of synthetics hand down. For anything with an engine you can't beat it.
Amsoil, 2 yrs. heavy drag racing, same clutch, no Slippy ! oem fibers- go figure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which Oil ?

I've used mineral oil and it just burned on the clutch. I switched to Redline, and it made the clutch slick and caused slipping, even with the PAMI clutch springs. I then switched to Honda HP4 no moly and it does not burn or slip. I have the same clutch in there for 3 years using HP4 and still no problems. I'm sure there are other oils out there that work, But I certainly do NOT recommend Redline. I've had my DS for a long, long time, and tried alot of oils. I'm sticking with HP4 cuz its not very expensive, I can find it everywhere, and there are NO clutch problems. I also hear good things about Amsoil, but its hard to switch when something works as good as HP4.