CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dissapointing hill climber.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissapointing hill climber.

Thats a good question, at the dunes its hard to fia a spot long and straight enough to get a DS to 8000. I could have gone to the drags I guess. I was at the "China Wall" and another guy with a Baja said he does 8000 up the hill with no problem.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo, 10 paddles are way over kill. You would be suprised how a set of six paddle haulers tear up steep long hills. On the steepest of climbs, like choke cherry at St. Anns, our stock bike starts the hill at about 7800 rpm, if it makes it to the top without shifting out of third, shes down to about 5000 rpm. Ten paddles on the same machine would put her in second half way up the hill and down to about 6500 rpm in third at the top. This is with a stock cdi. Our jetting up here is around 167.5 - 170 mikuni, at 4600'. If you are close to sea level and a 180 dyno is equivelant to a 170 mikuni, you need much more fuel. Get the jetting right and try some other paddles, I prefer 8 paddle extremes for the big steep hills, with a slightly moded bike. Good luck, Jed

Old 03-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Willyman
Thats a good question, at the dunes its hard to fia a spot long and straight enough to get a DS to 8000. I could have gone to the drags I guess. I was at the "China Wall" and another guy with a Baja said he does 8000 up the hill with no problem.
You don't need a very long stretch to see if it will rev past 8k rpm. Keep it in first gear and don't shift you will know real fast if you have a rev limiter or not. If you do have a rev limiter it will not let you rev past ~7800. If you do in fact have a RWR cdi box it will rev till you float your valves, then the shims get loose, then its not pretty at all.

The guy with the Baja that does 8000 up china wall, that doesn't impress me at all. It doesn't mean he is going any faster then you are at 7000 rpm. You put a pair of Gecko paddles on a DS and it will spin against the rev limiter all day long up china wall. Your 10 paddle tires are not allowing you to spin very much.

So why did you switch from the 190 to the 180 main jet in the first place?

So you got beat buy a predator, just because you have more CC then he does, does not always mean you will be faster. Weight is a huge factor in hill climbs, more so then flat drags. Maybe the predator was setup better and who knows what engine mods he might have too.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Don't sleep on a Predator... they are quick and are rev happier machines than a DS. I thought they would be slow but I rode an 04 and man that thing hauls. I was racing it with some Raptors and it it revs really fast and hard.

Sounds like your DS isnt dialed in right. A properly tuned bike can be brutal. Perhaps the Pred was tuned to the gills.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Drop a tooth on the front sprocket, sounds like you are geared to high for those tires.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

I have raced a 04 predator over and over again on blacktop. No problem whatsoever beating it....badly. I can easily say it was proven. I was about 40 pounds lighter in the rider weight, but thats about the difference in bike weight also...so weight was a wash. Both were stock. Every race I won.....even had my wheels way in the air passing him.

I have just swapped from 20" Edge 8 paddles to 22" hauler 8 paddles and I can say that is a MONSTER difference. I NEED!!! to change my front sprocket to a 15 at least to get back to a solid 3rd gear on the hill. Its all in the gear and traction "just the right ballance". If I had my choice I would get 7 paddles.

I am running a 175 mikuni jet with K&N and end cap. needle set to 3....seems a hair lean right there but summer I will go back to 4. @ 1200 to 2700 feet

Not sure if you are doing this but, heres how to launch your DS at the dunes. Put it in second gear (MAKE SURE YOUR IN 2nd!) , then lean WAY WAY over the bars....read your headlight specs. Rev till you hear your rev limiter bounce (if you have one).....let the clutch fly! This also helps with only one upshift before the hill. Works nice, unless you get lazy and dont lean forward enough.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Also, if there are no numbers on the sidewall of the tires they are probably 20". My edges (skatTrak) had nothing on the sides at all. My 22" haulers do have the size on them.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

look buddy alls i can say is do this, get your self a nice pipe and a ron woods rev limiter..... jet that baby perfect and lower the amount of paddles, and sit back on your seat when climbing and you be suprised on how many quads you will smoke.....plus there are other factors to dragging, such as weight, traction, different type of paddles ect....just dial your bike and you should rematch that pred and i bet you beat him no doubt in my mind..........

Old 03-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

How can you tell if you have a dynojet or Mikuni main?

I thought a dynojet was supposed to say DJ before the #.

The reason I ask is I just pulled my carb apart to rejet and it just says 180.

For those that have been here awhile, you may remember that they used my DS to make their kit. So I figured it must have a Dynojet main in there.

Al

Old 03-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

the DJ jets just have the number on the jet. it only says DJ on the little plastic bags that they come in. they look just like the stock mikuni jet that came out of mine. there is a letter R and a symbol that is a square on the opisite side of the numbers on the mikuni and nothing on the DJ jets. I dont know about other mukini jets. this is just the stock one that came out of mine.