CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NOS Downsides?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOS Downsides?

I'm looking at adding NOS, anyone have any downsides or bad experiences with it, especially with how it affects the life of your engine or is it all good?

Old 04-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default NOS Downsides?

the bottles don't last long enough.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NOS Downsides?

That eludes to my main problem. I'd rather spend the money on modifications that will always produce power. Nitrous is great for drag racing and dune and hill play, but its really not useful or legal in any other race conditions anyway. Not sure how much or how little rec trail riding you do, but you dont want to push the magic button on the trail and then miss your turn.

Nitrous is a great add on for straight line racing and when 700 dollars wont get much more power out of your bike. Its also nice to throw on a basically stock machine to get some quick and reliable power. But just remember that it only lasts as long as that bottle does.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default NOS Downsides?

So NOS guys.......How many passes do you usually get out of a bottle?

Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it
Default NOS Downsides?

Also what size bottle do you run and how much does it cost to fill the bottle. $$$
Wanting to get me sum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NOS Downsides?

I believe Jed said he pays around $4 a pound out in Utah. Call some of your local hot rod shops for $$

While N20 does offer the best bang for the buck, you also have to factor in the price over time for the re-fills, transfer bottles, race fuel, etc.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default NOS Downsides?

Good thread, good questions! Great answers! I am thinking of picking up one this weekend! The Boondocker kit.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default NOS Downsides?

Im paying about 4 bucks also. I was getting about 10 passes at Sand Mt. You can make it last most of the day if used just when needed. If your already winning on motor save your juice for the faster bikes. There's no other product that can make that kind of power for 700.00. It really helps having an experienced person around to help tune it, If you get it to lean bad things happen really fast. ODP and 650viper helped me out alot. Talk to those guys. Be careful the stuff is addictive.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NOS Downsides?

The downsides are... as I see it: Bottles are to small, its gone to fast(cuz the bottles are too small), I never have enough(cuz the bottles are too small), done right with any system, you can run it forever with no side effects. Done wrong can bring massive headaches and pains.

Sandman, good to see your still alive! We missed you at Ds Days!

Old 09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default NOS Downsides?

The downsides that I have experienced:

1) Smaller bottles are a pain, larger bottles are hard to place - especially if you want to hide the bottle. I have a 20oz, most of the DS guys go with 2.5 lb bottles. The 20oz holds just over a lb of nitrous.

2) Smaller bottles can be a problem in the heat, especially if you have them mounted up front - even more if they are black. If the bottle temp gets over 102 degrees, the liquid nitrous becomes a gas in the bottle, which throws your manifold regulator all to heck. It can't properly determine the additional fuel pressure to the carb and OVER pressurizes the carb. So, how you take care of that is you re-manometer the bike and you are good to go. Or, you can go with a larger bottle with maintains its temp better - they are also no black by the way - but brushed aluminum - which does not pull in heat from the sun. The other way is to keep them cool in the frig or freezer and swap them out. I only had this problem myself because I was at Sand Mountain, with a 105 degree temp, bottle was a black 20oz one sticking right out there in front in the sun. Jed didnt have any problem.

My 2 cents ...

Quick Reply: NOS Downsides?