CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ready to set new ds on fire (tm 45 problems)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ready to set new ds on fire (tm 45 problems)

carb is fully apart an soaking in cleaner .......again
my main is def a 152.5 the piolot is a 35 and the needle is a 8cfy2-97 the clip is on the middle setting.
everything in teh carb is spotless. im going to pull the pumper needle out just to see what size it is even though the acc pump isnt hooked up. from what im told the pilot jet needs to go way up to accomatate the lack of acc pump. is this true if so what size?
i do have completet throw of the throttle, and the filter is clean and the intake is crack free
i can spray starting fluid all around teh carb and intake and it wont rev up so i dont think i have an intake leak

Old 04-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: devilontheDS
carb is fully apart an soaking in cleaner .......again
my main is def a 152.5 the piolot is a 35 and the needle is a 8cfy2-97 the clip is on the middle setting.
everything in teh carb is spotless. im going to pull the pumper needle out just to see what size it is even though the acc pump isnt hooked up. from what im told the pilot jet needs to go way up to accomatate the lack of acc pump. is this true if so what size?
i do have completet throw of the throttle, and the filter is clean and the intake is crack free
i can spray starting fluid all around teh carb and intake and it wont rev up so i dont think i have an intake leak
Both Main and Pilot jets seem small to me. I'm running a 180 main and a 45 pilot.....

Old 04-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Ooooops I see why now. You're running a TM-45.....never mind, I'll just go put my foot back in my mouth... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

You are correct Don his pilot is to small. A 45 would be more in line. But he is running a diff carb than you are. With a stage 2 setup his main would fall between a 145 and 155 someplace. I would say a 150. But all motors are a little diff.

After your done soaking her again Make sure you blow every hole out with compressed air and make sure you find where it's comming out at.

Im not sure what a dyno jet needle has for numbers. But if your running a dyno jet needle with makuni jets you could be running into probs there. Anyone know if the number he listed for his needle if they are makuni numbers or not????

Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

eagle i just looked into it and its def a mikuni needle.
i was told if i went up with the pilot would that help my off idle stumble?

Old 04-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if you're close to sea level then a #40 pilot is closer to where you belong, and the 97 needle you are running is ideal and should be on the 2nd groove if using pumper, 3rd groove if not.
but even upping the pilot will not completely solve the stumble off idle, the carb needs its pumper which is why it has one, RWR disables pumpers to install a light return spring to make the carb easy on the thumb and in my opinion RWR is personally responsible for the only bad rap the TM has ever gotten due to this and its a shame.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Range Rover

i see how adimitt you are on the use of the TM. i have a dyno sheat that my motor produced 62.7 hp with this tm, so id like to run it again. i use twist throttles so an easy throttle is of no concern to me
im right at sea level.

so pretty much weve decided i get the tm working with an acc pump and thats that. im all for it.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I run a 42 pilot at sea level with no problems and a 145 main. Are you running an airbox and if so with a lid? If not do you use the snorkel with a filter or a clamp on

Old 04-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

a big problem I see often with used TM's I set up for guys is that they are a couple years old with the pumper never being used, so gas varnish builds up in the pump piston pocket to almost a crust. its kinda hard to get it all out to free up the pumper motion too.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I may be way off here but...... I just had the same symptoms with my DS. My battery is on its way out, possible bad cell or something. I had trouble starting it but after some idle adjustments I got it to fire up and idle perfect. Then when I went to give it some throttle it would die or backfire. It was like the more I was easy on the throttle it would try to rev but quickly give up. I was very persistant with it and got it up in the higher rpm's and it was screaming and coughing....after a minute it must have charged the battery and it was all good. This has happend 2 times to me. It could be battery or stator or just a bad connection.

So I would do a out of the box approach and borrow a carb from anything that is known good. Then you can rule out the carb.

Quick Reply: ready to set new ds on fire (tm 45 problems)