CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whos Had Back Surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos Had Back Surgery?

I had a discechtomy about 4 1/2 years ago on L5S1. I was in enough leg pain before the surgery I was about to go in a wheelchair. 100 percent improvement immediatly. Still no real problems now except By letting it go as long as I did I had some permanent nerve damage and have a couple numb toes on my left foot. I was in some decent amount of pain after the surgery. The worst part was over in a week. Real sore for a few weeks. They gave me Vicoden. I did not like them. I just took a few Ibuprofen as I needed for the pain. Defenitely learned how to lift correctly and not over do it.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean about the rain, same here. I guess it has something to do with the barrametric pressure or something? I can sometimes tell if it's going to rain because my legs start hurting. Maybe it's because the barrametric pressure rises and since the nerve is already iritated because of pressure on it the rise in pressure just makes it hurt more? I try not to take the pain pills but without them I couldn't work at all. Whats strang is the lifting and pulling I do at work or home doesn't make the pain worse or at least most of the time it doesn't. Setting and laying seems to make it hurt more than anything. Some days I can take it easy all day with not a lot of pain and then the next day it hurts like crazy and I haven't done anything different. I've been fighting the bad moods too that come with no sleep. I average around 3 to 4 hrs a night and like you some nights no sleep at all. I afraid I becomeing used to that amount of sleep because it's been this way for the last five years. Now when I do get eight hrs sleep (which is very rare) I'm tired the next day like I slept to much. Every time they gave me the injections I watched the screen the doctor used to insert the needle. Theres nothing more fun than to be laying on your stomach with your butt showing in a room full of nurses while a doctor stabs you in the back. And it always seem the nurses want to talk! I don't want to talk while I'm in that position. Once while one of the nurses was wiping my back down before the injection she was talking about who knows what and about the time she started wiping part of my but she really got into the conversation. I was laying there red as a tomato and she just stops with her hand resting on my bare but and just carried on and on with one of the other nurses. I never did look forward to those visits. The fiber sealant they did on me is in the experimental stag and was free for me. It's some type of stuff thats suppose to be the same as what makes scabs in our body. They use the same epidural needle and inject this stuff in around the tears and it suppose to seal them up. The only problem is I have a lot of tears. They have to mix the stuff right before they inject it and it kept hardening before they could get in me. I've been told I still may feel some relief even after a year because I have had the damage for so long. I originally damaged mine when I was 16 in a motorcycle wreck. Then damaged it again when I was 25 in a car wreck. It always hurt but five years ago is when it really started getting bad. If you haven't tried sleeping in a recliner you might give it a try. It seems to take some of the stress off the nerve for me. It sucks when we go on vacation though because most motels don't have recliners in the rooms and I end up sleeping on the floor, I always take my sleeping bag with me.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

how old are you now texaspshyco?

Old 04-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After hearing all that I might just take my lumps with a grin, damn you boys are in bad shape! It is funny how all these injuries happen in the same area to us all. The one they need to do to me is the L5-s1, Its pushing out the right . My L3-L4 is pushing out the left, but only troubles me on occasion, so I'll leave it alone for now. All 5 lower discs have mild degeneration. If I dont do anything, I dont need much for pain pills, just some antiinflammatory stuff. But if I do anything, ride, bend, lift, or work it kills. Thought I'd be funny and work a full day last friday, what an idot! I cried like a little baby that night! So, How long till you think I can ride again? I dont want to miss the major weekends if I dont have to. I still aint sure if I can handle riding yet, since I havent been on a quad since september, but I have been sleddin, and with the right pain killer combo, it makes it bareable. Damn this stuff, its going to screw up my riding season isnt it? Thanks guys, Jed

I forgot to mention, I have had six injections, none worked. I didnt get no stuff to help the pain either, them buggars just poked me, felt like them needles are a foot long! The last one they did they grazed the nerve, I jumped about three feet off the table, the damn nurse ask "oh did that one hurt". No you dumb broad it tickled, do it again! Sorry just venting, but I'll bet you guys know exactly how it is.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear all the problems that you guys are having with your backs. I have been told that I have 3 lower degenerative disks and two in my neck caused by the type of work that I do. I have used acupuncture and Chiropractors for years. I have also spent a fortune in different beds, electrical muscle stimulators, special pillows , ect. What has helped me most is the use of an inverson machine. After about five minutes on it at the house my back begines to decompress and the muscles stretch and align the back. This is not for people with very serious back problems that my require surgery but it can help some one that has not got to that point yet and is looking for some kind of relief. I have not been to a Chiropractor for years but I still go now and then to have acupunture done. Hope this might offer some help to those of you that have not yet reached the major crossroads of surgery.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

just think what did they do 100 years ago when this stuff happened? they lost the farm the house everything, I asked my doctor the same question and he said they called it polio, scurvey,and a few others I cant remember, just a thought

Old 04-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not a doctor, so pardon my spelling. It's been 18 years since my laminectomy on the lower L4, L5. Couldn't even walk before that. Had to take tylenol with codiene and 2 beers just to sleep a couple hours. The mylagram was the worst, when they inject the dye into your spine. They probably do it different today, but the 2 needles in the same hole wasn't any fun. Then you couldn't move for a day because it felt like the worst hangover ever. Almost perfect today with occasional pain. I didn't want to scare you, but the after effects were alot better than being miserable.
I also had a vasectomy, do you want the details on that?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

lol thats awesome lol

Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Budman, yes please indulge on the procedure used for a vascectomy. My question is, do they feel the same?lol j/k mmmmmmmballs
400EXer, what is an inverson machine and what does it do? Does anybody have any idea on how long I'll be down with just the discectomy? Thanks Jed

Old 04-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with the inversion machine. Any chance I had to unload the pressure on my back was instant relief. An inversion machine hangs you upside down, or almost. I would go and hang from my kids monkey bars in the back yard from time to time for a little relief. One of the best nights sleep I had during my problems was while hunting. I was sleeping in the back of my Bronco and my head was pointed downhill. I woke up without pain and it lasted a few hours. You might try putting phone books under the foot of your bed if posible. It's worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Whos Had Back Surgery?