CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whos Had Back Surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whos Had Back Surgery?

I got the great news that I need to have some work done to my lower back. I guess I need is a microdicsectomy. Has anyone had this done, with what kind of results? How long was your recovery? Thanks Jed

Old 04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
sam
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I recall right Jackass had back surgery. maybe he can chime in on it. Good Luck hope all goes well.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Jed sorry to hear that, good luck witht the surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

PM 700quadman, i just met him last weekend and I believe he has had 4 surgery's on his back.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

I had my L4-L5- and S1 fused to my pelvis, This was due to bulging and deteriorated disks, that was due to lifting heavy weights and a car accident. This was done 15 years ago, It took about 6 months fo fully recover, but surgery done today is different and you seem to recover quicker. Now this timeframe includes the discsectomy, discogram, spinal fusion(bones scraped from hips for fusion),3 spinal taps, steriod injection, and facet blocks. Oh yeah don't get hooked on the pain killers....

Old 04-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

I've had four surgeries in the last three years and am still in pain. My back never actually hurts but all the pain is in my legs because it's the sciatic nerve thats damaged. So far I have had injections, IDET, two disk fused and a new treatment called fiber sealant. Now I'm looking at a synthetic disc replacement. I know the pain your going through and feel for you. Watch the pain killers like they said. I switch mine around but have to take codine,tramadole, demerole, and ambein to sleep (probably misspelled some of them). You might ask about the IDET which is where they cartirize the nerve or fiber sealant which is where they seal up the tears if thats what you have. I wish you luck.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

I had discectomy at L5-s1 last november recovery has been ok I have been riding my ds for 5.8 hours so far on the rebuild no problems myback is still ache and my legs still get numb but that happens weather i ride or not, I can only ride for about half an hour then i need to get off and streatch, I still need surgery on L3-4 I think is the disc, with mine L5-s1 was herniated and compressing the nerve on the right side and L3-4 is herniated and compressing the nerve on the left side, all from hauling and unloading to much lobster, I haul seafod form fredericksburg md for h-m bay anyway last week the doc said he wants to inject dye in to my disc and do another mri, anyone have that done? i wonder how it feels?

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Had that done twice and it hurts also. It's about the same as the injections. The MRI part is a breeze as long as closed places doesn't bother you. The last MRI I had was in an open MRI and it was ok just gets boring laying there and not being able to move when your legs start hurting. I think the most painful treatment so far was the IDET. It took about 45 minutes and you have to lay there while they put a wire heated to 118deg around the nerve and it deadens the nerve. It didn't work to good for me but did get rid of some pain. Do you take the relaxers when they are doing the injections or just the local. I hate the way the relaxers make me feel so I don't take them. Every time I had the injections done they said I had to have a driver but I snuck out and drove myself home. The driver is really just for the ones taking the relaxers. Man until I had my back mess up I had no idea how many people suffer from this. Looks like they would have had enough practice by now to be able to fix our backs with their eyes closed. Hopefully one day it will be fixed. Do any of you have a problem sleeping in a bed? We bought one of those sleep number beds and it still doesn't help. I have to either sleep in a recliner or on the floor, that is when I can sleep. Some nights I don't sleep at all.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

i shattered 3 vertebrea and spent 5 months in a neck halo when i was 17 (i jumped the walkill river)
my summer was shot, i get spasims once in a while, mainly my biggest problem lies with cronic pain in my lower back, and sore feet they want to do another surgery to fix it but im done going under the knife.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have a hell of a time sleeping usually only a couple of hours a night, last night I didnt get to sleep till 3 this morning and up again at 7 no wonder I get crabby at times lol, my doctor on did one cortizone injection and that hurt worse than the back pain and it didnt work, after i had my surgery i had muscle spasms real bad for about 12 weeks i had to go in 5 times and get an injection of something my oldlady seen the needel said it was long and he stuck it in all the way some white milky substance made it feel better though, he wants to do a microdiscectomy on my upper disc but he said the tool he uses for it is only 5 inches long and my back muscle is 3.5 inches thick and moat peoples is only around 1.5 so it wouldnt work, he said the only way he could do it was to go in by my kidney with something called a will see, not sure what that is sometimes when i go shopping at walmart the pain in my back and legs gets so bad i have to go to the car and lay down, I have a bunch of pain pills they keep giving me but i try not to take them, endodan,percodan,vicoden, my stomach is so screwed up now from taking them, as of last feb13 2005 i have been off work for 2 years with this injury but have only used 85 weeks of ttd but the good thing is it is workcomp and they pay 2/3 rds of my average weekly gross which was 943.00 a week so
my checks are 628.00 a week, and now they are talking about sending me back to school for retraining, they dont think i will be able to drive truck again this whole thing sucks, I wish i was working, I have been driving truck over the road since 1988, all this drama in my life and I am only 37 I cant wait till i see how i feel when i am 50, I might have to move to california when it rains my back hurts more too why is that? damn this is long lol

Quick Reply: Whos Had Back Surgery?