CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

striping screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default striping screws

Yesterday i installed an HMF slipon and an port match intake from mrhp. Well, I figured i would get to the jetting this morning. I havent ever jetted before so i'm kind of in the dark. But i was in the process of trying to remove the bottom bowl from the carb. Well the screws are in very tight and as i twisted the screw driver no matter how hard i pushed they started to strip. All 4 of them did the same thing. Is there anything I can do about this? I tryed putting some WD40 on them and letting them sit for about an hour and still nothing.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

I had the same problem and it also happened to the face plate where the throttle cable attached to the butterfly.

I would tell you how to fix the problem but you would only laugh...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

Well hopefully somebody has a better idea than I do ....

I would at this point use a very small "easyout" . Just predrill a small hole in the center of the screwhead Just deep enough to let the easyout get a bite. Then use the easyout to get the screws out. THEN replace them with allen head screws! The carbs are made out of junk alluminum so be carefull when tightening the new screws in! You dont want to strip the threads !

J

Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

vice grips is the only way I was able to remove them the first time, then replace them with some small socket cap screws

Old 04-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

buhjuh16

OK I'll tell you but you better not tell ANYONE!

I removed the carb from the bike and drained all the gas out. Then I quietly snuk up stairs and swiped my wife's hairdryer...
Hey! you said you wouldn't laugh...!..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Well I turned the hairdryer on to medium heat and warmed up the carb bowl.....make it warm enough so that it's a bit painful to hold. This will expand the aluminum enough to get the screws out without damaging any of the O-rings or gaskets....

Replace the Phillips head screws with Socket head Cap screws......

There now don't tell anyone...especially my wife....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

this has been gone over more than one time on here. you could search and find some good Idea's. because those screws are allways like that. the first thing that should be done is to use a really good screw driver. like a snap on or matco. put the carb on a hard surface and tap the end of the screw driver with a small hammer to shock the screw. TAP not hard hits. usually that will do the trick. if they are screwed (so to speak) cut a flat slot in the head and use a flat blade. if that fails you can grind the head off and grab it with vise grips.

dang I type slow. 2 posts before I could finish mine. I need typing lessons.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

Get some small needle nose vise grips. Clamp on and break them loose. Replace with allen head screws from Home Depot. The sizes you need are posted somewhere on this forum. Good luck,

Old 04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

I pulled this out of a old post regarding carb bowl replacement screws. I think forum member "TheOZ" posted this info.

I pulled the Mikuni BSR42 for the first time to tweak the jetting. The rumors are true, the carb screws (both bottom and top) are a bear to get out. My friend and I had to use a small cutter to cut a flat head slot for all screws (4 bottom and 2 top). I replaced all the screws with stainless steel, socket head cap screws. When visiting your local bolt & screw business, here's what you should ask for:

Stainless steel, socket head cap screws (allen head)

For the top
* Qty 2 - M5 x .8mm (pitch) x 8mm long

For the bottom
* Qty 1 - M4 x .7mm (pitch) x 14mm long
* Qty 3 - M4 x .7mm (pitch) x 10mm long

Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

The needle nose vise grips are the easiest way..worked for me. I had all 4 screws out in 5 minutes. Replaced them with allen head screws....so easy to take off now.
J.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default striping screws

I didn't read all the post (to lazy) so somebody might have already suggested this. Sears sells a set of ez-out type tool that is made just for screws which work pretty good. If your talking about the head of the screw striping out or rounding off where the screwdriver can't get a good bite then these might work for you. The heat thing should work good also since the aluminum will heat and expand faster than the steel used in the screws. I've never tried it with screws but we have to do it all the time to remove pressed on bearings from fan shafts.

Quick Reply: striping screws