CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How would you build your DS motor with a 2000.00 budget?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you build your DS motor with a 2000 budget?

It will not be until November of this year but at that time i will be ready to have my baja motor built and i would like some opinions.I read quite a few of the posts on this subject and yes i could do a search but i have some guidelines that i want to stay within,one being a 2000.00 budget.I have a pipe so that will not need to be factored into the cost.I want to be able to run pump gas so other than that i would like to hear some ideas and also i would like to know what some of you have done that you would (not) do again if you built another motor.My baja is what i will use for most of my dune rides but i will occasionally drag race with it but that is not its primary purpose.Reliability is always important to me so extreme compression or radical cams are not an option.I want as much torque for climbing dunes as i can get and of course any HP gains i can get i will take.This probably looks like a fantasy wish list with me wanting all the good and none of the bad but the knowledge on this forum can help me get closer to that than just my own ideas,so any suggestions?

Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default How would you build your DS motor with a 2000 budget?

if you only have a pipe, i'd say, cdi, carb, ported intake and head, 11:1 piston since you want to stay with pump gas,and cams, i'd go with HPR, i haven't heard anyone complaining about them

Old 04-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default How would you build your DS motor with a 2000.00 budget?

I forgot to mention that i also have a big gun cdi and a k&n air filter so i will not need to purchase those.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I like this question! Specific about what you are looking for.

The first DS Days Sand45 showed up and impressed everyone with his simple Cams, Piston, Gearing, Pipe, etc. mods that just rocked! He lives up your way and can offer some advice.

Check out On Dunes - Their Stage II upgrade will run you about $915. . . the Ron Wood head is over your budget. But, you could do port work for about $455. . . You are now up to $1,370. . . TM45 will run you another $375 (not saying this is the best carb. . . just adding some $$$ up) you better get the ported intake too $175. Your new total: $1,920. . . Rear 42 tooth sprocket. . . $52. . . Front 15 tooth . . $35 (hope you already have it. . . I think I'm over budget [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] ) . . . Total: $2,007.

I'm sure TVI (in your area) also has similar kits.

HP Research, The Bom, etc. also have similar set-ups to the above.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

chuck build a 730 for marky i thought it ran great

Old 04-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

I really dont (have) to stay at 2000.00 but i wanted to put some kind of a limit on this myself so it didnt get out of hand as far as cost is concerned as i am sure some of you know all about.From the research i have done i should be able to have a very strong running and reliable ds for 2000.00 in motor build cost but the key is choosing the right parts.Bill i will give Chuck a call soon to talk specifics with him but this forum is a great resource from people that have real world experience so i want to use that as well.Any ideas on what kind of a gain in HP would be possible from where i am at now?I am looking forward to getting this build done because when you combine the comfort of the ds and add some extra ponies i think you have the ultimate dune machine.Thanks for the ideas so far and i will be looking forward to hearing more. DuneMe thanks for the great ideas and specific breakdown of parts and cost.How many of you with built ds motors use the stock carb ?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

I have a high comp piston, cams, shim under buckets and 110 cams, vortex ignition and run the stock carb. Had it on the Dyno with a 55hp result.

Also on the wifes bike we put a 720 big bore kit, stock head with shim under buckets and 109 cams and run the stock carb. Hopefully be on the Dyno this weekend and will post the results.

All my work was done at TVI/DS Works. I am happy with the results from both machines. Both run the MBRP exhaust, K&N Filters, both have vortex ignitions. Waiting for the a-arms to get the chroming finished is why there has been no Dyno run.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

I am not here to bash anyone but I keep hearing people from oregon on this site reccomending TVI for work on thier ds650's. On other forums I have been on I have been told to stay away from TVI. I went to TVI one day and kinda got treated poorly by the guy at the counter when I tried to ask mod questions for my DS.

IS Tvi only interested in people that want to do major mods or what?

As I said I do not want to bash them since they have never done work on my bike but I have heard some horror stories.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

do a search on what builders don't have problems.
sparks , great engines bad service
trinity- hear lots of stuff there
knutz- out of business
sam coe- out of business
tvi- seems some have a head gasket issue
pami- cranks break on there strokers, head gaskets were a problem.
hpr- kind of new, sent a 730 to ds days, went down.
ron woods, seems to be pretty good,just the power never seemed at the top.

then there are several that have great experiences with each. so go figure.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

how about a stroker $1000, carb $375, and a cdi $175?..?.. and polish the head while apart.....if your looking for good torque and not worried about topend hp use the stk cams. i would think this would be a good setup......

Quick Reply: How would you build your DS motor with a 2000.00 budget?