CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

AXLE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXLE PROBLEM

OK here it is short and sweet, I followed the book on how to remove the axle and carrier however the axle, according to the book is supposed to "slide" out once the brake caliper and brake hub are removed. The only thing that has not been removed is the bracket that the brake caliper mounts to and according to the book it is not necessary to remove it. So why won't the axle "slide out" as the book says?

Old 04-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default AXLE PROBLEM

You have to remove the "big" clip around the axle on the left-hand side (sitting on the quad) then the axle should slide right out...hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default AXLE PROBLEM

Funny the "Book" says to do it the reverse order from what you said. The book says to remove the axle and then remove the Bracket with the big C-clip. It said the only reason to remove it is if you plan to replace the seal.....

I guess it won't hurt to remove the bracket. Now all I have to do is get a C-clip remover big enough...

Thanks

Old 04-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default AXLE PROBLEM

Good deal.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default AXLE PROBLEM

Ya, you have to remove the snap ring. Be careful doing it because it was very hard for me to find someone that could get another. My snap ring pliers weren't big enough so I bent it getting it off.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default AXLE PROBLEM

I just pulled my axle and carrier out about an hour ago.

I used a pair of needle nose pliers and opened them backwards to get that snap ring off.

Al

Old 04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default AXLE PROBLEM

To remove just the axle all that needs to come off is the brake caliper and disk. Mine was kinda stuck on the bearings so I took a SOFT hammer and tapped it out. To remove the axle and carrier at the same time, yes, you need to take that big snap ring and the caliper mounting bracket off.

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default AXLE PROBLEM

Oh yeah, I found it alot easier to deal with that snap ring with the axle out.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default AXLE PROBLEM

Now we have two people say the opposite.

"You have to remove the "big" clip around the axle on the left-hand side (sitting on the quad) then the axle should slide right out...hope this helps!"

OR

"To remove just the axle all that needs to come off is the brake caliper and disk."

I've tried tapping my axle with a mallet but it doesn't seem to have much effect. I'm afraid to keep hitting it for fear of damaging the bearings. I was going to remove the carrier anyway so I will go ahead and pull the snap ring tomorrow. I don't have time today because I'm rebuilding me Nephew's motorcycle, he seized the piston when one of his rings broke..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I need to try to find a pair of snap ring pliers big enough to handle a clip that size anyway so it may take me longer. And besides I had to order all the O rings and seals from the dealer so that will take about a week or so to get here.....

Old 04-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default AXLE PROBLEM

When I installed my extended swingarm I removed the carrier and axle all at the same time. The second time (To inspect & replace bearings) I took just the axle out. My bike is less than a year old and the axle was stuck pretty tight on the roller bearings. Yours is about the same age. If you've gotten water in there the axle could be stuck real good on the bearings. I would do like you said and take the carrier out with the axle then take a look. Didn't want to confuse anybody.

Quick Reply: AXLE PROBLEM