CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

EFI vs carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI vs carb

Originally posted by: LowRecoil
The website now says $3995 for turbo and efi. Do you think they offer financing? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
If they offer financing I might be tempted!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

I have been running the KMS EFI for some time now. I got a write up on the install on my web page with pictures under the technical section. So far have been very happy with it. The customer service has been great. I just upgraded to the tune on the fly with the wide band O2 sensor, like others have said before, you set it in the ball park and it can adjust for the variables. The newest version which is in the final testing stages is the self learn version, it creates its own maps and is completely self contained with no need for user input.

The efi can be made to run on pump, race or alcohol fuels, KMS knows how to set them up properly for your engine requirements.

I definitely give it the thumbs up so far!

Old 04-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

The nos injects prethrottle body by about 4 inches. KMS wanted to insure no hot spots in the cylinder and the power is more managable at that spot. They dynoed both set ups and the post throttle body was alot more powerful but hit to hard to control larger shots. All of this info assumes the nos is being used in conjunction with the turbo. Without the turbo I am not sure what kelly would recommend.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Originally posted by: 1BigDSRider
Originally posted by: LowRecoil
The website now says $3995 for turbo and efi. Do you think they offer financing? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
If they offer financing I might be tempted!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Me too.......

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Awesome Sand, thanx. The one pic looks like the EFI attaches right to the engine, is that so or does it attach to ur intake? How is the reliability so far?

Old 04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

I assume you are talking about the picture of the throttle body? It uses the stock intake and a rubber hose just like the stock carb to attach to the engine.

You will notice that my throttle body only has a single injector on top. The turbo and alcohol guys are running dual injectors.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

will it work wit a RWR ported intake? what about air box config - how does the EFI hook up to the air box?

Old 04-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

It will work with any ported intake.

It will also work fine with the stock air box. I assume you are asking about just EFI, not the EFI/Turbo setup. The turbo setup has an intercooler in place of the air box. I was running the stock air tube with the hose clamps around it and the stock size K&N, along with my custom bracket that allowed me to ditch the actual air box, That setup worked fine, but I was still dealing with the stock air tube which supposedly can start to collapse at high rpm, so I had KMS fab a small air tube that uses a huge K&N. It looks very clean, I'll have to get some pics posted.

Basically the throttle body has very similar outside dimensions as the stock carb, so your intake setup forward and aft have many options.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Yea im not lookin for the turbo setup, just the EFI, thats good that it will hook up to my ported intake and stock air tube. How has the reliability been so far for ya? Have you encountered any problems wit the system so far?
Thanx again Sand, great info

Old 04-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

No problems with reliability so far. I just got my wide band upgrade today, going out to Pismo tomorrow so I will get to test it out. The next upgrade they are working on is a software upgrade, "self learn." It will create its own maps, sounds real promising. Kelly is the guy running the shop over there, top notch customer service.

Quick Reply: EFI vs carb