CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

EFI vs carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI vs carb

with recent carb trouble id really like to hear more about EFI, what are the advantages / disadvantages for each, besides never jetting again lol. for those of you that have it, what do u think of it? Im curious to how it works on the DS, like when shes cold and u usually choke it to warm it up a lil, what do u do for EFI? do u just hit the throttle a lil or will it just calm idle?
any and as much info would be great!

Old 04-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

I don't know personally but I did do some research and found a place that sells EFI kits but you have to have allot of $$$$$

Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Try....... KMS performance

Old 04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Love mine. It has a bried warm up programmed into the ECU. No gas usually just push the button. It is very responsive now after alot of changes by KMS. It also is a learning software so your fuel map gets better the more you ride it.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

I would love to have EFI but hate to part with 1500.00 !!

Old 04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Yea im not concerned wit the $, workin all summer and i decided to keep my truck so i'll have savings ready to thro at the Baja, but thats what im tryin to find out, if its worth the $1500 or not

Old 04-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Yeah, NickDS650, Im really wondering aswell if anybody has proven results on the dyno between the fuel injection and carb...I would like to see or hear some numbers. I know its not all in numbers but unless its just the jetting...I would like to see the results aswell!

Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

Another question I wonder about, Does Kms have enough time with the ds to design a fuel curve for my bike, half way across the country? Will I need to send them my ds for a fuel curve??

Old 04-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

I think the new KMS EFI is much easier. Don't need to program since it is self learning.

Did you have to change out your ECU Crackerjack? I'm guessing your throttle body was fine?

Can you cange your A/F ratio and let the ECU re-map? Don't know why you would want to but, if you wanted it to run a little leaner or a little richer could you make the change by connecting to it and then let it re-map itself?

Old 04-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI vs carb

The change in the system was an ECU upgrade, no change to the throttle body. The reason KMS is pushing for the self learn is exactly the problem listed. He can now send the system across the US and regardless of head work, compression differences it will learn what your system needs and that is the base map. It then adjusts from that point for other factors like weather changes, elevation etc. It adjusts from the base map from 40-60% depending on what you set. I can still hook up the lab top and set it to the rich side of the scale by changing the O2 reading that it is striving to achieve. I do not have the self learning upgrade yet but Majorecho sent his in already to be upgraded. I am waiting to see the results. The current system I am running has a base map and as long as it is within 60% of what I need the system automatically adjusts to optimal mixure. One thing that is still important is the size of your injector. A big bore needs two 160# injectors where I run a 160# and 96# injector on methanol.

With regards to increase power vs. carburation. I would expect an increase in low end torgue due to the immediate fuel available. Some of the carbs with accelerator pumps may achieve this but not most. I am very happy with the present system.

Quick Reply: EFI vs carb