CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Looking for a Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Rev Limiter

Originally posted by: BigDogAZ
I just installed the Vortex box and all the backup problems seam to be gone. Not one backup since the new install. It goes on the Dyno today ill let you all know if it made any difference in HP as for price I paid 399.00
BigDogAZ,how did the Vortex cdi score on the Dyno ?

Old 05-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well we changed a couple of other things at the same time so I couldn’t tell you exactly. I can tell you the engine trying to back up problem is gone.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

go for quality get the ron woods

Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

For the price (I am not even sure what those cost anymore...last I knew it was 250-300) granted the quality is there, but it is not a rev LIMITER, it has no limiter at all. There are other options besides the procomm (100) and the dyna/vortex (400) that have limiters in them, and are still good quality.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HIMMEY
Eric Oldham aka. Mr. Horsepower emailed me stating the 650 rev's high enough ( 6200-6500 rpm's ) stock , and i should be shifting sooner if the rpm's are bumping the limiter. I am not a seasoned rider but i feel like there is still some power left on the table. He did go on to recommend the Vortex cdi ( too much cha ching ) . I guess i'll try a used or new $100-$130 unit and see for myself.
Listen to the man!!!!!!! Ron woods sells parts for busted engines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No rev limit means busted valves and pistons. Save your money and buy a good unit later!!!!!!! Go look at hightowers dyno #s that he has posted of a well tuned 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and see where it drops like a rock!!! RWR cdi makes the builders good money on rebuilds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

you might think "O its ok, ill just be careful and never rev it that high" But I have been in too many instances where I have accidentally rev'd too high... such as one time on ice, didnt even realize what that I was revving past 8k, only realized because the limiter kicked in on my big gun cdi. I also dont trust my damn riding buddies on their yfz's, they weigh in at about 150, and rev their yfz's to the moon (when we swap quads they like to sit on the limiter, and I could see bad things happening if there was no limiter!)

what does the RW cdi cost these days? if it is still 300, its def not worth it. I would say spend your money elsewhere. I have a pipe/filter/ported intake and the cdi does not make a huge difference in power.

I am actually going to be dynoing my ds for the first time, and if I still have the big gun, I will slap it on right after a pull and make another pull once the cdi is in.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guy's for everyone's input and experience. After reading some great info,i think the low cost way to go may be with an inexpensive limiter that raises the rpm's by 1000 and changes the spark curve on the low end but won't cause engine kick-back.I've read up on the MSD Spark Enhancer , sounds like the ultimate kit , but damn( chaching ). I saw a CDI on Ebay called the Punisher ( $110 ) i asked who made it , Procomm ? I didn't get an answer. Anyone have any experience with a Punisher ?

Old 05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the janssen box and have no problem or kickback . Ihad a r.w. box on my 01 and it kicked back all the time , untill I fattened up the bottom end and it went away . I don't think it was ever a cdi issue but maybe a not properly adjusted carb once the timing was advanced .

Old 05-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Janssen racing makes the Outlaw CDI and is found on their web site as well as e-bay. Janssen racing is a reputable company from what I was able to find out about them. You can contact them and see what, if, any warranty they may have. The Big Gun rev limiter comes in two version and is warrantied for 1 full year and is not manufactured by Procomm as some have suggested...

The way I see it is customer service and warranty are the main issues wit any electronic piece of hardware. Most places will not warranty electrical hardware because they have no idea if you installed it correctly or if it was installed on the machine it was intended for....

Talk with who ever you go with and make sure that they have a warranty that will cover your dissatisfaction with their product even if you just don't like the results you get after installing it.

If they won't warranty it do purchase it.....

My 2 cents......

Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 AM
Range Rover

Has anyone heard anything about the advantage performance rev box? Sweetquads has them for a good price. Check it out at

http://www.sweetquads.com/index.php/...1/prevstart/0/