CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Armed Robbery at Glamis - eeek!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armed Robbery at Glamis - eeek!

This was a tidbit of info in the April 2005 Newsletter:

"
**South Dunes Incident** During the past several weeks there have been activities in the South Dunes that warrant extra care and caution on behalf of dune visitors in the vicinity of Buttercup and the Plank Road. Extra care is encouraged in securing personal property to avoid theft. Illegal activities involving armed intruders have been experienced.
"

Anyone who goes down to Glamis on a regular basis should keep this in mind. Does anyone have more info on this?

Ya know, Glamis is a great place to shoot a thug like this - no one would miss them, and you could bury their rotting stinking corpse! (Too bad it was rotting and stinking before they're dead...)

Also you might read this article about Mexican Drug smugglers using Glamis to smuggle drugs:

http://tinyurl.com/7a9gm

Old 04-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

First-hand report here:

http://www.americansandassociation.o...ic.php?t=17570

It's scary as hell, I've went out and bought a new handgun for my trailer directly because of this story.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rich807
First-hand report here:

http://www.americansandassociation.o...ic.php?t=17570

It's scary as hell, I've went out and bought a new handgun for my trailer directly because of this story.
click here

Old 04-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Range Rover

Im glad i live out here in the cornfields!!!

Old 04-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

irony of these things is folk whine about dune fee, but those dollars do enable the police force to be more readily available.

Since I'm hopefully past my stupid days, I kind of dig a little police control, especially since I'm more apt to bury a body then tolerate thieves.

--

Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

Trouble is the police don't help in situations like this and never will (especially out in remote areas like parks/dunes). Only a fraction of a percent of the time a cop will be lucky enough to be in a place to actually *prevent* or catch a crime in action.

I don't mind a LEO presence at the dunes as long as they have officers that are smart and use discretion. Where people get ticked off at the cops in the dunes is when they get over policed by rangers/officers that don't know their butt from their elbow i.e. like when they bring augmentees in to help on big weekends. Serious duners are generally good folks with a few bad seeds mixed in (usually young punks that are out for reasons other than the sport). Trouble is the "problem" cops don't necessarily focus on the "big fish" and end up harassing the average Joe about piddly crap.....that's why you see posts bad-mouthing the cops (IMO).

Old 04-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

OK , so im going to go out on a limb here, probably even take some heat for it too......
1) NOBODY deservs this to happen to them!
2) Common sense goes a loooooong way!

BUT

I have camped and duned at Buttercup almost exclusively for the last few years and ONLY 1 time have I seen anything remotely troubling. We camp at the end of the road from the entrance and about 200ft from the freeway. From what I can tell these people were camping 1/4 mile away from the boarder ( 15 seconds distance per the report ). If thats true they were wayyyyyy off the beaten path! No surprise that they got robbed. Ive ridded my quad to the border from camp and even seen some of the IAs waiting to try to cross over in the dunes! But to camp in the flats next to the border... man your asking for trouble! There is BLM and Border patrol there 24/7 with some real fancy night vision stuff mounted to trucks and long range viewing gear too! They also park in between the camping areas and the IAs know this. For that reason they avoid these comming in close to where the designated camping ares are. This makes it safe for us!!
Did it strike anybody odd about all the BS these people were people were going through?? The guy crashed twice ?!?! Rode off alone and crashed !! Got drunk and fought his cousin after drinking a bottle of Tequila!?!? Wow....

If ya havnt read it .. Do so!!

Im just glad nobody died.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:16 AM
Range Rover

good points prozack,

my cop experience is limited to dumont activity. Rich807 is right on with the cop quality, but I believe a melvin cop in a cruiser will make most idiots or thieves think least twice before acting. Versus the alternative of no law presence. As long as you only break one law at a time, they tend to not bother you.

5 years ago (at dumont) I had a totally different opinion, but the landscape has totally changed. Allowing kaos and anarchy doesn't seem to scale with the large population increase.

--