CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who in here has custom made radiator shrouds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who in here has custom made radiator shrouds?

I was looking around for radiator shrouds, but just cant see spending 75 bucks on 5 bucks worth of aluminum!

I was wondering if anybody out there that made there own, would consider making me a set? I dont have access to a machine shop, so I would probably spend 40 dollars in aluminum trying to bend them with a hammer and a bag of sand lol.

If nobody makes them, anybody know the cheapest place to pickup a set? My ds always seems to run hot (damn fan is always on..) so I figured adding the shrouds should help drop the temps a few degrees.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Spend the dough. Its not the 5 bucks of aluminum that your paying for, its the r&d and dies that cost the mnfg bucks. Figure in ads and shipping and there you go. I sprung for the $150 carbon fiber units. One of the best things ive done yet as far as looks and cooling go.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Trailblazer

Where did you get the carbon fiber shrouds?

Old 04-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Roost , I made a set for myself. You can look on my page to check em out. It took a buddy and me one day and two tries to get them right. Youll need some specialized metal working tools. We used a brake and a streacher/shrinker, both pieces will cost you far more than a pair of pre made scoops.

You could come up with a pattern and take it down to a metal shop to have them cut the parts out. Take the parts home and rivet them together. I doubt youll save money that way but youll have a one off pair of sccops!! Your Design !!
If the design was good enough they could cut a few extra pieces for ya then you could sell them !!

Mock up a pair with cardboard and tape to get the design then take the cardboard pieces apart to trace on a piece of aluminum. Cut the pieces of aluminum out and reassemble them like the cardboard scoops and youll have your first set ! Thas pretty much how I did mine. Of course the first set will most likely not fit thats where you make your adjustments and do it again. The more comlex your design, the more tries / revisions it will most likely take.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm.... Looks like maybe I should just buy some! heh.

Who all makes them? I know alba makes their standard aluminum ones for 70.

I think graydon makes some? Anybody know where to track down some graydon ones, or if another brand makes shrouds?

Old 04-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Albas the only ones that I know of , Perhaps On Dunes sells them also??

I heard somewhere that Graydon Proline went under! Does anybody know that for sure ??

Old 04-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

graydon was the cheapest @ $55.00 but don't make them any more. Graydon sent me to CT racing & they are $69.00. Graydon was having problems with how theirs fit & couldn't get their manufacture to fix the problem from what I heard.

On a side note, I saw a pair of Alba aluminum shrouds on ebay that bid all to way up to $83.00 (new $69.00) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Sounds like there is a market for them on ebay.