CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Has anyone tried an outerwears airbox lid cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005 | 01:24 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Has anyone tried an outerwears airbox lid cover?

I have a K&N with the outerwears, and the outerwears seem to do a pretty good job of keeping some of the thicker crap out. I have seen these advertised before, but didnt know if it was worth the cost of doing it?

Here is a link for those who dont know what im talking about Ebay - outerwears

Here is another one, that seems like it probably just has a gathered (elastic?) bottom edge to go around the airbox.
Ebay-outerwears 2

I know it is reccomended (for the bsr42 anyway) to keep the lid on so that you get more vaccumn through the snorkels, but thought maybe this would be worth trying?

Also, does anyone know where to buy outerwears material by itself? I think they must purchase it from outerwears to make these, unless they are chopping up filter covers.

Old 05-13-2005 | 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

I was checking into these myself and they are velcrowed (sp) around the airbox to get the seal. As for the rest i just see people buying the outerwears for the K@n and cutting a hole in the air box and bolting it on similar to the ehs intake lid.

Old 05-13-2005 | 02:33 PM
|
Pro Rider

velcro dosnt seem like the best way to seal that sort of thing...lol

the ehs mount does look much higher quality, but is def more expensive. Might see if they will just sell me that metal bracket, and I can try to find a cheap outerwear to dissect.

Old 05-13-2005 | 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

I have one of the EHS airbox lids, and it seems to be a really high quality item. I think my DS runs a bit stronger with the EHS airbox lid than with the stock airbox lid, and I frequently switch back and forth, and will run the stock airbox lid when I am expecting deep water, and the EHS airbox lid when I don't expect to need to be so waterproof. I misjudged track conditions at the last AMA National though, and ended up drowing the motor on my DS when I crossed a waterhole too fast. The water was over the top of the front tires deep, and I nearly went over the bars when I hit it. I got the DS to refire in about thirty seconds though, so it didn't injest too much water. I was really glad that I had the EHS lid on, as opposed to no airbox lid at all, because at least what water the motor injested had been filtered, twice, ... once by the outerwear, and again by my unifilter. The unifilter still looked as clean as brand new at the end of the race by the way, so the outerwear must have done a good job.

DV

Old 05-13-2005 | 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy has one of those outerwear airbox lids. Its cool. You cut out the middle of the airbox lid. then you put on the outer wear and mount the billet rim to the airbox lid. It keeps alot more of the sand out. I think I might buy one too.

Old 05-14-2005 | 12:11 AM
Range Rover

I've got the Velcro-on cover, and I wouldn't recommend it. I had to make a bracket to hold my air filter in place when I took the lid off (i'm not sure if you bombers are set up the same as my rappy)
The instructions recommend that you keep the lid in case of really wet conditions, but you can't put it back on with the velcro in your way.
As for the Velcro itself, it works OK as long as you take the box out, clean it, and cut it to fit.

Old 05-14-2005 | 01:05 AM
|
Pro Rider

luckily the ds dosnt have the lid hold the filter in place!

I might check to see what an OEM airbox lid costs, so that I could run either if I modify my stocker.

Old 05-14-2005 | 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

Roost. They have one that comes together so you dont have to use your stock lid.

Old 05-14-2005 | 10:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

the velcro one is trash

1st hand knowledge

Old 05-14-2005 | 04:14 PM
|
Pro Rider

thanks for that info bing, ill stay away from that one.

And ya wingnut if you are talking about the pre-fab ones I saw those, but Just cant see paying them 70 bucks for a stock lid with that installed.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried an outerwears airbox lid cover?