CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Worst Crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 02:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Crash

I was out a the local sand pit jumping the Ds getting good distances for the jumps I was hitting. ( about 45-50 feet, and 10-15 feet in height. I inspected all the jumps before I went riding, because sand can crumble. I went to hit a step down and I was going though loose sand to hit the jump, I hit it in fourth and all was good untill the front of the quad nose dived suddenly, it just seamed like someome grapped my front bumper and pulled it down. I was straight up and down, I tried to bail off to the side, but my right foot some how got caught in the handlebars, the quad landed right on the front bumper. (It left a whole 2 feet deep and 3 feet wide. When It hit the ground it bounced up and filp twice, my foot was caught in the handle bars while it was fliping, the second time it fliped the quad landed upside down the handlebars landed on my foot crushing it in to the sand.
My doctor figures I dislocated my right ankle in one flip and relocated it durning the second flip. I tore most of the tendons in my ankle and foot, fractured my heal and my ankle is full of fluid. I got a cast on for two weeks, then I get to wear a splint for a week and go to physical therapy. I won't be able to ride the Ds for atleast a month, But I havn't seen it in almost a week, its out at my cousins who I was out riding with, they live out by the sand pit, I'll probly go pick it up tommorow night.
The Ds all most lost the front and rear bumpers, the sand almost twisted them off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] , The steering system seams to need adjustments too, it seamed pretty loose, the handlebars are bent to. I'll know more when I get it home in the garage to inspect it. It was full of a lot off sand I'll have to clean it up to. I guess it finally got tired of me hurting it, so it decide to hurt me.
I'll be riding as soon as I can, not as a agressive I'll take it easy for a while.
Now that I shared my stupidy with you lets hear about your worst wipe outs, I heard about a few got ones on here.

Backinblack

I'll be posting pictures of my Ds from before the wipe out soon.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default Worst Crash

Ouch man, sounds painfull but could have been alot worse. So did you hit extremely soft sand or a trough or what? I don't quite get what caused the flip.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Worst Crash

man you got lucky on that one--someone was watching out for you--- hope you make a full recovery and get her back into running shape

Old 05-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Worst Crash

Hey bud glad to hear your ok. If you only have to be down for 3 weeks consider yourself lucky. I have a brand new bajax with only 4 hours on it and i have owned it since march 23. I had to have my ankle worked on as well as them reattaching my achilles tendon. I had surgery about a week after i got the bike. I will be in the cast til june 1 and then they said i will get a walking boot.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Worst Crash

Thanks guys, Well 2big2fast looks like we'll be getting our casts of the sameday. I got my cast on the 19 of May, which was 4 days after the crash (I had to wait for the swelling to go down before they could cast it. I get the cast removed, Two weeks from the 19, which is June 1 or 2, or when ever I can get an aponitment to get it removed. After I get the cast removed I have to ware a splint for a week and go to physical therapy.
As for why it nose dived I don't know I just seamed to do it on its own. I have done a lot of jumping on the Ds, a lot of it on that jump. I got up after the crashed and crawled/walked over to the jump, the top of it looked funny were my tracks were, but my buddy hit the jump later with his Z400 (force of habit, we commonly used the jump, we both agreed not to hit after the my crash). He landed fine. So I don't now why it happend it just did. Im not blaming the bike any, that thing got me where the Z400 wouldn't dare to go, And I also like pissing of every Raptor owner I meet (sorry to the yamaha guys, The raptor is a not bad bike, I just prefeer my Ds). I've also be a Trx450 That was done to the hit, barely but I did it.
And I just realized this afternoon after I passed them in the garage, My handguard, they weren't on when I crashed. After adjusting them couple of weekends ago, the screw backed of and the screw and the inserts flew out a top speed and got lost, so I took them off. I can't ever bare to think what those handguards would of done to my foot. Im not sure if that hard plastic would break before it would of cut my leg up.

Hope we get riding soon,
BackinBlackDS

Old 05-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default Worst Crash

we're all just glad that ur ok..

Old 05-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Worst Crash

Glad you are okay. Some call it "The Man Killer."
Mine sure squished me finally.
Maybe your momentum shifted forward causing the rear to buck.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Worst Crash

WOW,what a crash!!!

My worst was in 86 with my 250R.I was in a sandpit,alone practicing for a race.I then thought I'd go up the face of the pit,do a cookie near the top,then shoot back down.I've done this many times.Well,this time I was just a hair to close to the lip of the pit.A rear tire hit the lip,throwing me down the face of the pit.As I was rolling down the pit,my bike caught up with me.We both were rolling down the pit.When I got to the bottom,the bike was on top of me.Luckily,a buddy came about 5 minutes after it happened.I broke 2 ribs and my right forearm.