CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

shiot...stripped my oil drain plug threads!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shiot...stripped my oil drain plug threads!

What about an oversize drain plug. I know they make them for automotive usage to fix striped drain plugs.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

alright well I bought a pipe thread tap (3/4) at the hardware store, and also bought a pipe plug that looks about 1/2 inch longer than the stocker (should work out pretty good so that it can go up a bit further than the stocker) Only problem with the plug is that the threads just stop without a ring or anything, but hopefully If I put enough teflon tape on there it will go about 3/4 of the way and get pretty snug.

I think I am only going to torque this down to about 15 ft/lbs and then safety wire it.

I am having my local shop tap it (dont want to screw it up with less than a week till our trip) so hopefully all goes well!

Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Here's a link to an article right from this site with some good info.
https://atvconnection.com/editor/techtips/techtip21.htm

Old 05-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I appreciate everyons input on this. I took the quad to my yammy shop and talked to the service guys (they had a lot to do so didnt have time to do anything but talk to me)

I had purchased a pipe thread-plug, and a pipe thread tap (3/4 both together cost me 20 bucks) And thought I would have the shop tap it out. The owner of the shop thought maybe that wasnt the best idea because the pipe threads are tapered, and it could possibly split the cases.

Hmmm I am back at square one. I have exactly one week before we leave...so I need to figure somthing out FAST. Nobody around here seems to have a helicoil kit large enough for this, and I found a 3/4 inch tap at the hardware store (both fine and coarse thread) but the problem I see is that all the bolts are massive. (I could cut them down, but the heads on the bolts seem they might be another problem because of that small lip on the oil drain hole.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:02 AM
SLS
Weekend Warrior

Cure:

The BMW Repair Kit

The BMW Sump Plug Repair Kit (11 11 2 343 436) is needed to fix this. It involves putting a steel insert into the current tapping with Red Loctite and installation of a new plug that uses an Allen head and a different size of crush washer.

It has been reported by owners from around the world that the kit and installation is covered under warranty if the bike is still under warranty. Otherwise the kit runs about US$150.

Q. What is IN the BMW Sump Plug Repair Kit & How do I get out the Old Plug?
A. The BMW repair kit ($110 when I bought it) is a slightly oversized 18 mm bolt with self tapping threads. In the center is a threaded hole and a much smaller bolt with an Allen head. The smaller bolt has a matching crush washer. That's it.

No instructions, no words of wisdom, and no words of encouragement (second hand) from the techs at the dealership. I did the installation myself spread out over an evening, preceded by letting the oil drain during the day. Is it overpriced? Yeah. I have found nearly the same at hardware and auto parts stores for maybe 10 USD. The BMW version looked like it had slightly deeper and better formed threads. I was relieved to have something that other people had successfully installed, and thought of it as paying the extra $100 or so for peace of mind. As for a helicoil, when I looked it seemed that it would be necessary to buy one a bit too long and cut it down. Most of the people I spoke to suggested splitting the engine to do the job, although one guy said not necessary and recounted his tale of installing a coil in every hole in the engine of a KLR without any such measures. Most of the threads were reduced to waves. I could feel them (barely), I could see them (or so I convinced myself), but they wouldn't hold the bolt in. That is after I pulled it out with vise grips. Before that it would spin in either direction indefinitely. There was perhaps a turn and a half of pristine thread at the top of the hole, where the OEM bolt doesn't reach. It was hard driving the bolt through the wavy zone, to the point where I was worried the bike would turn with the bolt once it was in a few turns. When I got to the portion where there was still threads left, the bike DID turn if I didn't brace my weight against the center stand. I'm guessing the plug would work even if the hole were completely smooth, at the size of the thread trough. No leaks so far after 4000 miles. Jeremy #1087

They're also suggesting 25 Nm of torque instead of the 40.

Steve

Old 05-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think that is an option for me.... we leave for our trip in 6 days.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

alright well the owner of my shop ended up doing the work, and somehow used a spark plug hole repair kit (14mm) which I guess uses the same type of setup as a heli-coil. Anyway...all I care about is that it is installed!

Thanks everybody for all your help, now I just have to hope this pig stays together for the trip! Will be a LOT of hours, probably about 6+ hours a day for 5-6 days [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]