CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How do you test the stator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you test the stator?

I can charge the battery and it will start the bike for a week or so. but if I ride all day the battery goes dead. If I disconect the battery the bike shuts off. All fuses are good.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: naturalite
I can charge the battery and it will start the bike for a week or so. but if I ride all day the battery goes dead. If I disconect the battery the bike shuts off. All fuses are good.
Naturalite~

Sorry I dont know how to test the stator but I can share with you that I experienced the same kind of problem with my 2005 DS650X... When I first got it I rode the whole weekend put in the garage for a week and go to start it up the next weekend and sure enough dead battery... I call the dealer raging pissed and tell them about this and they play it off as a common occurance(they eat up batteries) and recommended my hooking it up on a battery tender when its not in use... So thirty bucks later i have a battery tender and no more dead battery. Just plug it into the outlet after each ride.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't expect it to start after a week or even amonth if it was a bad batery. But when I ride it wares the bat. down. Also if the startor was putting out power it should still run after I disconect the bat. right? Mine shuts off when the bat. is disconected, leading me to believe my stator not puting out.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

here is a quote from JDsDS I took it from his post on how to check the stator

You need a multimeter that will read a/c voltage set up to read a/c voltage

1) unplug the voltage regulator plug that has three yellow wires in it. You will be testing the side that connects to the wire loom not the voltage regulator
2) Connect your ground lead of the multimeter to the battery negative terminal
3) Start your engine and run it up to around 3000rpm
4) connect the red lead of your multimeter to one of the three yellow wires. All three yellow wires will read the same and should read around 40 volts. Voltage will naturally go up and down with rpm.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

here is another quote from dsdunecrazy

to test your charging system, you have to make sure you have a fully charged battery installed. Start the quad and check the voltage at idle and around 3500 rpm's. As scooby stated, you should see over 13v at idle, and somewhere above 14v at 3500 rpm. If it's above 15v you probably have a problem with your voltage regulater/rectifier. If it's low, then there is a problem with the charging circuit. (there's lots of good info on this board on this, a quick search should result in more info then you ever wanted to know,

search the past posts, there is so much information about this, check your fuses check your ground cable to see if it is dirty and rusty, just my .02 cents, let us know what you find out ok, good luck

Old 06-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dang. . . learn something every day!

I'm going to have to try this out! Spend all that money on the multi meter. . . need to learn how to use it!

Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider

CoffeeroasterDS650 what your dealer told you is not absolutly right.A lot of them go through the
stock battery.Since i change to a different battery(odessy pc545) i have not had a single battery
problem.It would start my quad this winter with no problem.

Naturalite that is what mine did when my crap stock yausa battery was dead.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks jackass650. I did a search but only 3 difrent poasts came up, none had that info in them. I will be checking those yellow wires when I get home tonight.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

here click on these links and check it out naturalite battery is dead

p.s. the only reason I know about these threads is because i had back surgery back in november and read literally every thread pertaining to ds650's battery going dead

Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

may I ask what you found out naturalite?

Quick Reply: How do you test the stator?