CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bomber 4x4 system

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomber 4x4 system

The new 800 bomber looks to be quite the formidable machine. I understand it has a single lever braking system which I really don't care for but I might be able to live with it if the rest of the machine is solid and performs well. I'm still a little fuzzy as to how the 4x4 system works. Is the front axle locking or is it some sort of limited slip? The website says "it senses and gives you all the torque you need" but that really doesn't explain it as thoroughly as I had hoped.

I've ridden a polaris and hated the 4x4 system, the engine braking and how it handled on hills. Is the new Bomber 800 like the Polaris system? I need the front end to be locked. No limited slip shenanigans just power to both front wheels. I like being able to lock the front in and have power to all 4 tires.

If someone with more technical knowledge off how the Bombardier system works could give me a run through of how it works I would be most grateful.

Also, a couple of years ago I had the chance to sit on, but not ride, a Bombardier and wasn't impressed with the build quality when compared to the japanese machines. The switches, controls and everything about the machine felt cheap and slapped together. Has this improved as of late?

Old 06-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't answer the question on the 4x4 system, but I do agree that all high end 4x4's should have a locking front differential ability. I do not know why everybody doesn't offer it, no matter how well a system may work there are still times when you want and need the locker.

I can't wait to see how all the test rides and comparisons turnout, in mags and on TV.

I have never been anything but impressed with the build quality of all canadian built Bombs, the entry level korean models lack some things to be desired, but the full size machines in my opinion are top notch.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

It is a type of a locking differential. Go to a bomb dealer and ask for the comparitive guide. It will have a diagram and good explaination in there. It shows how on other 4x4's the wheel that is "more free, or spins easier" will spin like crazy, while the other wheel that you really need power to, doesn't do crap. The Visco Lok on the bombs sense where traction is needed, not where it isn't. It throws power to both sides as needed. So if one side needs more power than the other, it will get it. If the other side does, then it gets a bit more. But the other wheel doesn't stop. They are always both moving in 4wd situations. You never have to worry about sittin there spinning one front wheel and not the other, they both dig!