CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 X - Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 X - Lighting

I know, the DS650X has one of the best lighting setups of any sport ATV. But... why settle when it can be so much better?

Who out there has looked at upgrading lights? I'm interested in adding some peripheral lighting to the left and right for aggressive night riding. The choice so far seems to be KC Hilites, although I have not decided whether to go with the flood, driving, or long range alternatives.

Any input?

http://www.kchilites.com/lampwiz1.html

Old 06-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Don't you already have auxiliary/Baja lights on the X? First thing you have to think about is how many watts you currently have and how many watts of lighting you can add. Your main headlight draws 70w and the Baja lights draw 70w, so with both on you already are drawing 140w. I have used 200w of lights at higher RPM with no problem. At lower rpms the stator is not producing fully output.

HID lights can give you a lot of light output with very low power draw, only down side is $$$.

For me an I deal setup is a high power long range main light and lower power flood lights for the peripheral lighting.

If you want, check out my web page, I just replaced my main headlight with a pair of trailtech HID. With the EFI that I am now running, I have even less available watts for lighting.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Sandaholic, that's a really clean set up on the lights... I've been thinking of doing something similar for next season, and that really makes me want to get it done!!! Was there anything you would do differently if you were to do it over again? That's a cool site you've got...especially the pics!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
J.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

nice lightign setup

Old 06-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Freakneh
Was there anything you would do differently if you were to do it over again?
I haven't even had the chance yet to test them out anywhere except for in the garage. Untill I get some time on them I can't really comment on their reliability or what I would do differently.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

I upgraded to HID lights in main headlight AND my Baja lights. My HIDs are in the stock housings and use the stock lens. Until I turn them on, you would think I had stock lights.

BRP advertises 290 watts for their stator but mine tested under load at 240 watts. I am in the process of getting a larger stator, around 400 watts via KMS Performance, as I want to run a third set of HID Baja lights off my handlebars so I can see when I turn.

I have EFI also and that uses about 100 watts.

If you need good lighting, spend the money a get HID. I was worried that spending close to $1000 on lights was rediculous, but it was well worth the money. I've never heard anyone who put a good set of HID lights on their ride complain about them being too expensive after they ridden at night. They are well worth the money.

If you like to ride fast at night, you need to see. Not seeing well will cost you a lot more than the price of the lights.

I got my HID system at the HIDSTORE.com